Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
79K views 36 replies 4 participants last post by  iminhell 
#1 ·
Alright, so I had an SCT handheld tuner for my V8 swapped sport trac. I've sold it to the guy I'm doing the V8 swap on another sport trac, so I'll be in the market to buy another one. I like SCT, but I need one I can self tune, the pro race package for SCT handhelds are about $350, which will allow me to self tune, but limits me to one vehicle. To tune another vehicle, I need to make another purchase.
I've heard of other tuners that are self tuning, but which one is better for the Ford vehicles without spending thousands of dollars? List them up, multivehicle capabilities, benefits, ease of usage, and affordability....

SVT

#2 ·
I like this one, and is one that I was considering. Tweecer is another that I've heard around the forums, just haven't read about them yet to see their capabilities...

SVT

#3 ·
I just found this about the Tweecer...
Things to know BEFORE buying a TwEECer or Quarterhorse

by cgrey8 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm
When I first bought my TwEECer, I expected it to be much more intuitive than it was. From the get-go, I was frustrated with the accompanying software's buggyness (CalEdit & CalCon) and that there are no tools included with the TwEECer to help you make heads or tails of your datalogs. I got the TwEECer, I got it working, and I ended up with datalog files that don't seem to open in any standard editor or database manager. After spending $550+ on a new TwEECerRT, I get hit with being told by other owners that I need to buy more software if I want to do anything with those logs. The other option is mess around with people's 1/2 baked Excel programs that have nearly no documentation.

I eventually figured out all the ins and outs of tuning with the TwEECer, and later made a seamless migration to using the Moates Quarterhorse since it is newer, cheaper, and in my opinion, all-around better than the TwEECer RT. Here is my collection of knowledge that I wish I'd known BEFORE I bought a TwEECer. Note, many of the comments also apply to those considering a Quarterhorse, but the comments made relating to CalEdit/CalCon are specific to the TwEECer since CalEdit/Calcon don't support the Moates Quarterhorse. For more info on the difference between the TwEECer and Quarterhorse, there's a detailed comparison in the FAQ for reference.

• Don't mess with the TwEECer base. It's the TwEECer RT or something non-TwEECer. The power of the TwEECer is not in its ability to tune the EEC. There are plenty of other products like Moates and SCT chips that can do that for cheaper than the TwEECer base. The power of the TwEECer RT is its ability to datalog the EEC.
  • When you buy a TwEECer RT, expect to purchase EEC Analyzer. It will open and analyze the datalog files that are a result of the TwEECer datalogging your engine's behavior during a run/drive. The bread-n-butter of EEC Analyzer is to help you sort out your MAF curve. It also helps with tuning a number of other aspects of the EEC and for advanced users, it will display maps and charts of the various things you datalogged across the Load/RPM range. Expect to pay ~$70 to register EEC Analyzer. Click here to read more about EEC Analyzer:
For the complete article on this,
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12137

Even before reading this, I read tweecer's website and there were things I didn't like about it, like its not very user friendly in the beginning. This article verifies this. Still looking at other options....

SVT

#4 ·
So its looking like quarterhorse, tweecer, delta force tuning, hptuning, SCT, and a couple others. I quickly found out tweecer is the bottom of the barrel, with moates/quarterhorse being far superior. I don't like quarterhorse, mainly for being a chipped design, but other things I've read about them. HP Tuning is out, as they are mainly focused on gm tuning. It's looking like I'm down to delta force and SCT. SCT has by far the best data logging on the market from my readings, but not so good customer service. I've had dealings with their customer service before, and I had no issues, not saying I wouldn't in the future. Still looking....

SVT

#5 ·
So I thought I had my choices narrowed down to SCT and Delta Force Special Forces. The SF was looking pretty good, til I read reviews on a forum that the SF doesn't do trans functions, which is a priority for me. So the Saga continues. I'm liking the SF, but might end up with SCT PRP (Pro Race Package) if I can tune multiple vehicles by getting additional handhelds. I do like the SF for not needing a handheld, but to make small changes, I'd have to hook the laptop up each time, whereas the SCT can do it via the handheld. Not a deal breaker for me, so the search continues. Here's some reading if you're interested...

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...-used-delta-force-sniper-tuning-software.html

SVT

#6 ·
Just found out from someone who has a cammed mustang and SF. He says you can't adjust for a big cam with SF, just a stage 1 cam. You also can't adjust for idle issues, unless you upgrade to commando, commando can adjust for big cams and idle issues. I'm kind of leaning towards SCT PRP, I'm not sure if commando will do trans functions, but for the price of commando, I can get the SCT PRP...

SVT

#9 ·
So my end findings are this:

Sniper Delta Force Commando software $645
Extra bullet/license $190

SCT PRP software($349) with X4 handheld($399) $748
Extra license(not verified) $150

By the time I tune 2 vehicles, I'm almost dead even. Problem is, with SCT, I think I will have to buy another handheld to tune another vehicle, which may or may not include the additional license. Even if it does, the X4 handheld is $399. I own 2 vehicles that will need tuning, one right away, and I am building another (project ss minnow) that I need to tune right away. I'm thinking of going with the Sniper kit for now...

SVT

#10 ·
Update, I was put in touch with an SCT dealer/tuner, and will most likely get a small hookup, but will definitely get any help I need with tuning. Also found out I can tune multiple vehicles with just an additional handheld, but the drawback is the license is for the ecu code only, I can tune multiple vehicles with my prp, just need a handheld for each vehicle. To tune a different ecu code, I need a new license, then I need a handheld for each vehicle with that ecu code. Sounds complicated, and depending on how many I plan to tune, the dealer package is definitely worth it, especially if I tune more than 10 different vehicles, if its my personal vehicles, any more than 4...

SVT

#14 ·
Well, I've gone and done it...
I just ordered SCT's Pro Race Package, its being shipped as we speak. Had to give them my ECU code. Future licenses for my vehicles (which I have to show proof of ownership) are about 150, but if its for a vehicle I don't own, say like a buddies ride, its basically the price of another PRP, 300. So it won't be long and I'll be dropping some coin on a dealer package in a couple years...

SVT

#37 ·
I'll be dropping some coin on a dealer package in a couple years...

SVT
Do you know how much the dealer version sells for?
Do you know the hoops you have to jump through?

TBH, you're miles ahead buying additional licenses ($50/each w/proof of ownership) and flashers.
And so you know, there are 2 versions of PRP ... ya, no one tells you that. There is the standard option and a calibrator option. Both cost the same. If you ever want an upgrade, talk to SCT and they'll just add it to your dongle code and next update it'll happen.

BTW, no deals, the dealer package goes for around $10K and stipulates you sell x number of things per year. I don't recall the exact stipulations.

#19 ·
Yeah, thats just it. I can get away with up to 5 licenses, as thats how many I'll have in my household, possibly 6. Awaiting to hear on the different ecu code than the vehicle, might have to show proof of the engine swap, or might just have to show proof of registration, I'll find that out in a couple weeks. SVT is running XDT2, and I have 2 of those, so I might run with that ecu code next. I then have XDT1, and one from a 96 mustang with a 3.8, I think its NNL2 or something close to that. I might just start finding all the EQE2 ecu's I can find and run with that instead of the XDT2 since I can reprogram the EQE2 to run like an XDT2, but the XDT2 can be programmed to run an EQE2 motor, just won't have pats and a couple other changes. Eventually I'm swapping in intechs into both the trac and SVT, and will need a code for that. I'll need a code for HWW so I can tune that but I'll need to swap to OBD2 first. By the time I swap an intech into SVT I might have the dealer pack by then though...

SVT

#23 ·
I looked through that. My lower is different than both of the Explorer ones he listed there. Mine does not have the EGR port, but its not cut out in the middle either. Actually didn't pay attention to the one on my truck, but it has EGR on the elbow so I assume it has the port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.