Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Duplicolor color matching rattle cans

24K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Flexus 
#1 ·
So I picked up a pair of sport trac fenders to return my trac back to stock, and they need paint to match the truck. I picked up 2 cans of color matching paint matching my paint code on the door, and 2 cans of duplicolor clear. Within the next couple days I'll get them sanded, primed and painted. Will post results of each stage...

SVT

#3 ·
So I finally got to this project, with less than optimal conditions. It's colder than I'd like it to be, but it won't be warm enough for a long time, and I don't have the time to wait....
Here's what I'm working with....

My tools...

First up, sanding the deep scratches with 180 grit...

Then sand the sections of 180 with 400 grit, and final sanding of the entire fender with the red scuff pad. Final sanding prior to paint should be about 600, recommended by duplicolor, but I'm priming it first, which will fill in the sanding scratches...

Laying a heavy coat of primer...

After 60 minutes of set time (fast drying primer was used), the first coat of paint was applied. This stuff sprays on like water, and runs just as fast, so several light coats are highly recommended...

Hard to see, but here is a run. I test shot this area to see how it would lay. It ran almost instantly with a heavy shot, I sprayed here as it won't be visible once installed...

Here is the second coat of paint after 30 minutes of set up time, duplicolor recommends 10 minutes between coats, but with the temps at about 45*, I tripled the time...

Here is the first coat of clear after 45 minutes of setup time....

Not pictured is the final coat of clear, again, 45 minutes later. Looks the same as the first coat. There is orange peel after the final coat was applied, but to be expected. There are a couple of imperfections, but I'm not expecting a perfect finish. I could probably buff out the orange peel and imperfections. I'll see how it turns out after a day of curing. After I applied the final coat of clear, I took my heat gun and warmed up the bottom side of the fender, to help the paint cure and stick. Heating the painted surface would be sure to put debris into the paint. Overall I'm quite impressed with the rattle can paint. I'll post a comparison pic once installed to see how close it matches the rest of the paint. I'm not expecting a perfect match, as my truck's paint is 12 years old, and I'm sure has faded from the original color...

SVT

#5 ·
So i just went out and checked the fender, its still very tacky in some spots, and where i had to sand through the paint down to the primer, and spots where i went half way through the primer, you can tell. You can see the low spots, as well as the sanding scratches, mainly where the stripe used to be. Thats not the paints fault though, its mine. I should have laid down more coats of primer and leveled the surface out. You can definitely tell it was hand sanded. Oh well, like i said, i wasnt going for perfect, just color matching. If i was keeping it, I probably would have sand blasted it to bare metal....

SVT

#7 ·
No, I didn't. I wasn't after a perfect or mirror finish, just a color match. There's imperfections in the rest of the body, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time or labor in it...

SVT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.