Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Fiesta > Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Tom Excellent Standing Member
Current Suspension Products

Suspension
Ford Racing Handling Package
Price: $299.95
www.fordracingparts.com

H&R Sport Spring Set
Price: $206.00
www.tirerack.com

H&R Street-Performance Coil-Over
Price: $944.00
www.tirerack.com

Wiechers Sport Struttower Brace
Price: $143.87
www.european-parts.net

Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
tukaniRAY
Command Pilot

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus / 08 Ford Edge SEL

tukaniRAY Great Standing Member
Those are some awesome products coming out for the Fiesta.

Let the modding begin.

-Ray-
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
BlackrSVT
Pilot

Fan#: 2362
BlackrSVT Good Standing Member
I wonder if the ford racing handling package is the stock suspension tuning for the FiST?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
scotman
Pilot

Fan#: 1495
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE, 5dr

scotman Good Standing Member
do you mean te spring kit or FRP coilover kit?.....

P handl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackrSVT View Post
I wonder if the ford racing handling package is the stock suspension tuning for the FiST?
The mass of the ST is a bit different. Also there are some changes in the front steering knuckle casting that affect alignment. Along with the stiffer rear axle beam and four wheel disc brakes. I do not think a rear bar will be needed for ST. I assume you are refering to the damper and lowering spring kit as the "FRP handling kit". That is a budget level lowering kit that is in no way a high performance /premium type of handling kit. The ST version of Fiesta should not need to be tweeked if you dont do track days or Solo events, Stock is probably pretty damn good. The nice thing about these cars is that the buyer should EXPECT very good out of the box performance and handling.You are paying several thousand dollars over the lesser Fiesta for EXACTLY that content! People who track or autocross may want more adjustability for their car, they might go with coilovers or adjustable shocks like the Koni sport or the new STRT dampers, which will work very well with the typical lowering springs that can be had today.

Last edited by scotman; 09-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
felixthecat
Ace Pilot

Fan#: 1862
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotman View Post
P handl

The mass of the ST is a bit different. Also there are some changes in the front steering knuckle casting that affect alignment. Along with the stiffer rear axle beam and four wheel disc brakes. I do not think a rear bar will be needed for ST. I assume you are refering to the damper and lowering spring kit as the "FRP handling kit". That is a budget level lowering kit that is in no way a high performance /premium type of handling kit. The ST version of Fiesta should not need to be tweeked if you dont do track days or Solo events, Stock is probably pretty damn good. The nice thing about these cars is that the buyer should EXPECT very good out of the box performance and handling.You are paying several thousand dollars over the lesser Fiesta for EXACTLY that content! People who track or autocross may want more adjustability for their car, they might go with coilovers or adjustable shocks like the Koni sport or the new STRT dampers, which will work very well with the typical lowering springs that can be had today.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd lower it a tad bit more, thats just me.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
scotman
Pilot

I know what you bruddah....

The scary thing is how quickly the "improvements " can turn a nicely balanced car into a hard riding , ill handling little turd. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my Fiesta handled AND rode when I had the STOCK springs coupled with the Koni Sport Dampers. It is really nice. I have found the aftermarket springs to be good for looks but just not nice to live with everyday. When I get my ST Fiesta next spring, I will just bolt on the Koni shocks and get some lighter wheels. Then I am done with it!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
felixthecat
Ace Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotman View Post
The scary thing is how quickly the "improvements " can turn a nicely balanced car into a hard riding , ill handling little turd. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my Fiesta handled AND rode when I had the STOCK springs coupled with the Koni Sport Dampers. It is really nice. I have found the aftermarket springs to be good for looks but just not nice to live with everyday. When I get my ST Fiesta next spring, I will just bolt on the Koni shocks and get some lighter wheels. Then I am done with it!
Yea, I get what you mean, but the Feista uses a beam axle vs irs & has a tad bit more ride motions vs the Focus. I'd like to know what struts/springs come w/ the Feista st? IK they are lower & slighty stiffer then the regular Feista.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
scotman
Pilot

I think I understand what you are saying......

But, I am not so sure that stiffer and shorter springs will get anybody a better handling Fiesta. I purchased Eibach race springs for my 11 Fiesta. These are linear not variable rate springs. the fronts were 500# and the rears were 300# lbs inch respectively. The Fiesta stability controls did not like a high rate spring at all. I had to bypass the t/c and stability controls to drive it. The Fiesta is not tuned for springs and tires that would allow much speed AND high slip angles. The St has some important revisions in the front knuckle casting that gives a better alignment situation. The shock valving and spring rates have not been discussed that I am aware of. I also doubt that the ST bits would help a regular Fiesta much because the lesser Fiesta will still have stability and t/c that are tuned more for a 20 something college girl than a weekend warrior. The FRP handling kit is ok for normal use and is cheap. If you are going to track or solo the Fiesta. It would be a wise to go with the lightest 15 inch wheels you can get and some shaved tires.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
felixthecat
Ace Pilot

While your on that subject^^^^ Whats your thoughts of a torsen vs a BBK? Use a mechanical diff vs a bbk to work the torque vectoring= electronic diff. Or use both? For a Foci, I'd go w/ the diff to start.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
scotman
Pilot

Read up on torque vectoring. It applies the brakes and or shuts down engine power to limit wheelspin. If you are on track and powering off a corner, would ya rather have the engine processer reduce power and or apply the brake to a slipping tire or would you rather have the differential shift power to the drive wheel that isnt slipping? Scotman chooses to have a mechanical differential. This TV is just a cost effective way to use the ABS and T/C to do a job that is better handled by a limited slip dif'