Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Drain & Replace Transmission Fluid-2012 Escape

54K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Escape12 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 XLT with 2.5L engine and the 6 speed automatic transmission. Has anyone here drained and replaced the fluid? If there is a good how-to do please reply. I was somewhat surprised that there is no filter, just a 30,000 mile change. There is 130,000 miles on my SUV, and I have learned that my catalytic converter is plugging up. There is no aftermarket for a converter. I plan on a Ford dealer (the dealer I bought my new '09 Focus) to do the work as it may be necessary to reprogram some items.

EDIT (9/22/14)- I understand that there is a drain plug on the side (?) of the transmission pan. I just crawled under my Escape and noticed a plastic shroud covering the pan. Is it true that if you unscrew the plug, and let it drain until it stops add 4 qrts of the Mercon LV ATF. Run that through for 24 hrs, repeat drain and fill, run, drain and fill the last time. My Ford dealership sells the ATF for $6.20 a quart. O'Reilly's wants $9 a quart, and I'm not too keen using a universal ATF. If I decide to completely drain I would have to replace the pan gasket, and that baby is $44. Any ideas?

#2 ·
On my 01 there is a plug that a 3/8 ratchet fits into to un screw the plug mine took four quarts I drained filled drove it for about 20 minutes and did it again. I have the CD4E trans.

#4 ·
WOW! That's pretty easy! Is the "6F35" the transmission that is in my Escape? I took a look at the fluid last night. It was clear, and I could feel no particles or a smell. This morning I took it to my Ford dealership. The computer showed nothing wrong with the catalytic converter or the O2 sensors. However, it did show the evaporative valve (purge) needed to be replaced. I had it replaced, and it's running very good. Thanks for the pdf.

#5 ·
I don't know. It was the problem. Yeah, it's a piece of plastic. The whole bill came to $198. That sure is cheaper than $1200 for a catalytic converter. The service manager was doubtful about the converter. The Escape was part of a fleet. It was all highway used. Regarding the tranny I think I am ok on that, too. The fluid is clear, no particles. I did print out the file you sent, and put it in with the rest in a folder marked Escape. There is a plastic piece to cover the tranny pan, but there are just 4 or 5 bolts . I wish I could mention the dealership and service manager. Evidently they are busy!

#6 ·
I called 2 dealers here last month and they were taking appointments 1 to 1 1/2 months out. I now of 2 other people who had trouble with the EVP thing I think it was a purge valve on there's aswell

#7 ·
autolight: I believe it is the same thing. Here is Ford's part number: 9U52-9C915-H (Valve ASY) $56.44. The SUV did run better at acceleration, and the MPG AVG watched it go quickly to 26 mpg. Like in my post that was a HECK of a lot better than having a $1200 or more repair bill! You can find this part a whole lot cheaper on eBay. Hope this helps! If I get in trouble my dealership is in Rantoul IL. It runs itself, and I really can't complain as they sometimes are busy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.