Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Crossovers & SUVs > Ford Expedition > Ford Expedition Discussions

Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
98 Expedition - Project TC (Two Chances)

Welcome to The Incognito Project. This is an under-the-radar project right now, hence the name. I am going to mostly be doing junkyard parts. Loooonng story short, this Expy was given to me. I will give more details in the future as to the acquisition.

Needs when received:
Radiator
Alternator
Transmission Leak (Filler Tube)
Battery and Terminals
Front Wheel Bearings
Radiator Hoses
Needs a douching
Needs oil changed
Blend Door

So far I've added a new battery and terminals, and also replaced the alternator. The alternator did charge well, but it had a bad bearing. I will probably attempt to repair it for a spare for this vehicle and my truck.

I picked up this 2 year old Motorcraft battery at the junkyard for 30 dollars.

The new alternator on the left was a junkyard find for under 20 dollars. I think it is fairly new.

I picked up this brand new radiator for an F150 on the equivalent to Craigslist for 25 dollars.

Here is a video I took of it idling after I swapped the alternator. It is much quieter.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Stay buckled. More to come.

Edit: paint code - F7

Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Here is the trans leak I'm aiming to fix.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I went to the wrecking yard today and picked up some intake bolts (long story behind that) and some other odds and ends. They know me there pretty well, so they didn't charge me. My kind of day!

Got the intake bolts installed. Torqued them to 22 lb.ft. of torque. I need to hop on the blend door soon.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I sold a couple things yesterday, so ordered a blend door on Ebay today.
I got the Dorman kit P/N 902-207 with the modified end piece to keep it from splitting.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
disciplerocks
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 403
What I Drive: Couple Foci, Couple RBVs

disciplerocks Excellent Standing Memberdisciplerocks Excellent Standing Member
Following
00 F150 XLT DD/Tow Pig
04 Focus ZX3 RIP
89 Bronco II XLT RIP

Moderating
-Blue Oval Build Showroom
-Ford Crossovers & SUVs
-Ford Mustang
-Ford Trucks
-General Ford Chat
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Just some small things. I've been under the weather, but I needed to get outside for a bit. Besides kicking the tires, I also swapped out the center console lid I found at the yard.

I also wasn't sure if the transfer case worked, so I just did a short video checking function.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Placing this here so I don't have to search again later. BTW, looks like I bought the wrong door.

+ YouTube Video
Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I noticed that the face on the stereo seemed loose on the Expy. So today I investigated. Some horses butt has been in here dicking around. The tabs for the drivers side were all jacked up, and that made for one hell of a time getting it out. I have the factory deck from Hoss, so I decided I'd swap them out - especially after seeing how messed up the Expy stereo is.

So I pull it out and find this. Yes, that is freakin' MASKING tape.

I figured that blue wire was a remote for an amp at some time so I was going to terminate it. However.... for some reason beyond my comprehension, this butthole ran a new power wire. So I had to hook it back up to power the deck. But then I have no sound. Can't figure that out yet, and this virus has my heart beating goofy, so I called it a night.

I also placed coffee grinds all over in it in hopes to clear up the stale smell. After I do that, I'll use Rick's Febreeze suggestion.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I did indeed order the wrong blend door. I just looked it up on Amazon and noticed they had a correct one (902-220) in their warehouse deals for 17 dollars, with Prime shipping included. Bada Bing.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I tinkered with the deck some more, but it appears to me that the factory amp isn't working. The headphones in the rear all work fine. The amp is in one of Ford's special spots where you need to tear the center console out to get to it. So I'll diagnose that crap when I do the blend door. For all I know the PO has some other really swell wiring with the amp.

So, I decided to clean the motor a bit, just to make it look somewhat decent. I used a mixture of Dawn and vinegar.

Before

After