Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Miscellaneous > Tech Tips

Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
stimmons
Cadet

Fan#: 3992
What I Drive: 2013 Greige Ford Flex

stimmons Good Standing Member
Technical failures

So, get in our car to go to dinner (had driven the car earlier and it was fine) and the remotes won't lock/unlock the doors. When we leave the restaurant our climate control is wacky. Rear control is blasting air even though fan is completely turned off. Front can't control it either. We seem to have an electronic issue that we don't know how to correct. Anyone else have any issues like this?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing Member
With all the electronics in modern vehicles, they are very sensitive to low voltage. First thing to do is check your battery. You should have at least 12.0 volts with the engine off, and a minimum of 13.8 with the engine running. You wouldn't believe how many electrical gremlins appear when you have a weak battery and/or charging system. I've seen it before a hundred times, and it's happened to me, twice. If your battery checks out and your alternator is charging, then you need to make a trip to the dealer.

Oh, and this is not exclusive to fords and lincolns, all modern vehicles no matter the make are very sensitive to voltage.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Old 03-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
^^^ Especially a bad ground. Start where Bleed pointed you, then go from there.

The other thing is, all of that runs through the General Electrical Module/Smart Junction Box.... hopefully not a sign of a bad GEM/SJB.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
webbrowan
Cadet

Fan#: 3572
What I Drive: o

webbrowan Good Standing Member
I agree that it all eventually boils down to your battery. If it does not supply enough power to the whole system setup, you might just land yourself into something even more major than just a non-locking car and a failed climate control. There needs to be at least a minimum power capacity that you need to maintain in order for every functionality in general to run smoothly each time.