Unread 06-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
LKLusza
Cadet

Fan#: 4948
What I Drive: 1938 Streetrod

LKLusza Good Standing Member
Question Ford rack to Saginaw pump question

Hi Folks,

I hope there's a Ford expert out there who can help me. I'm replacing the steering rack in my '38 street rod that uses a mustang II IFS and have a question about pressure requirements of the new rack.

I've heard that older Ford racks operate at lower pressures than GM boxes. The pump I'm using is a rebuilt Saginaw type 1 (ham can) unit for a '74 Camaro. It should be putting out about 1200 to 1300 lbs of pressure, whereas the older Ford racks like closer to 800 lbs (if these assumptions are out of wack, someone please correct me).

The rack I'm using is a Cardone 22-201F. It's a variable ratio unit originally fitted to:
'78 - '79 Fairmont
'79 Mustang
'74 - '80 Pinto
'75 - '80 Bobcat
'79 Capri

The problem is that I also heard that, at some point, later model Ford racks started being built that can take the GM style level pump pressures just fine. Is that true or just an old tale? I can't find any information out there to corroborate that.

If true, then I need to know if my rack is one of those. Based on the fitments listed, does anyone think it's one of those?

Thanks!

Larry

Unread 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
amc49
Cadet

Fan#: 4957
What I Drive: 2002 midnight blue Ford Focus

amc49 Good Standing Member
The problem is that the rack you used can be one of two, Ford typically used both Ford and TRW branded racks there, and much later pumps were still the exact same type as the earlier ones used there so I don't think the pressures have changed that much, no reason to change pressures as well as they worked fine at the pressures they were at on the heavier early cars. Higher pressure simply wears the pump and rack out faster if not needed.

The only thing that changes in a higher pressure pump is the spring for the bypass, you could mod those.
Unread 06-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
LKLusza
Cadet

Hi AMC49,

Thanks for the response. Not wanting to be plagued by leaking seals and the like, I modified the bypass valve in my Saginaw pump down to about 1000 lbs. I figure that would be a safe "middle of the road" pressure for the rack. Flow requirements are apparently different for GM steering boxes compared to a Ford rack too.

I've addressed both areas, and hopefully it's better than the original setup. The original setup was a power Pinto rack and GM pump at full pressure. The result was no real feel - like the wheels were still off the ground. It was also way too touchy at speed - like a Porsche with a bad attitude and a death wish combined. I'll report back with my findings as soon as I get an alignment done and do a proper road test

The best remedy, of course, would to have used the appropriate Ford pump to match the rack. However, I had already too much invested in custom bracketry to work with what I had, in the space I had.

Thanks again for your response. It was very helpful.

Larry

Last edited by LKLusza; 06-30-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Grammer - always the grammer ;-)
Unread 06-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
amc49
Cadet

I'm sure you are aware there is a torsion valve in the metering section of the rack that responds to the amount of force the steering wheel imparts to the input shaft to meter more or less fluid to the rack piston as a secondary pressure metering method.
Unread 06-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
LKLusza
Cadet

Yes, I was aware of that. It would, based on input effort from the operator, apply as much pressure as necessary to move the wheels in whichever direction it was turned.

I just reduced the max pressure the rack would experience if, for example, it were held against the stops at full deflection. I think that's where the high GM pump pressures wreak havoc with the Ford rack's seals.
Unread 07-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
amc49
Cadet

There you go..............