Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > 4.6L (1996-2004)

Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
66stang4.6
Pilot

Fan#: 2349
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Mustang mach 1

66stang4.6 Great Standing Member
99-04 mustang rack and pinion

Hello hello.
Does anyone know with 100% certainty if I am able to use a rack and pinion off a fox body on my 02 gt.

I came across the rack sometime ago and if I can get away with not having to buy another one that would be great.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
It was my understanding that the SN-95 body was a major upgrade over the fox body but it was still based off of the fox body. The sn-95's had a wider track width, therefor the front lower control arms were wider and the tie rod ends. If you can use a fox body rack on your sn-95, I would think you would need to use your longer tie rod ends, maybe even the inners too.

I would think that a reman rack can't be that expensive, and you know it will fit, and it already has the correct tie rod inners. And there is no guarantee that the fox rack will work and if it is in good condition.

BTW in the early days of the sn-95 the actual code name was fox-4, why ford changed it to sn-95 I have no idea. My best guess, they didn't want the public to know that it was basically a reskinned fox body.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Old 02-02-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Tie rod length is one of the differences. It is also my understanding that the gear on the rack (where the steering shaft connects to the rack) is different between the Fox and the New Edge. Juan, put the rack for sale on the page "Utah Foxbody Addicts" on FB.

I'm sure the guy you got that rack from is really cool. LOL.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
66stang4.6
Pilot

Fan#: 2349
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Mustang mach 1

66stang4.6 Great Standing Member
Yeah real cool guy hah!