Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Performance Tuner

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  carljak 
#1 ·
Has anyone added a performance tuner to their vehicle? I am researching it, and have to ask here.

#2 ·
I've been using them for over 10 years now on various different vehicles. You need to know exactly what you want from the tuner before you purchase one. You can get a performance improvement, better economy, better towing, or even max performance. There are a few different brands of devices out there, and there are three styles of tunes you can get, canned or basic generic tunes that are a one size fits all and give you the least amount of gain in economy or performance, these are meant for totally stock or near stock vehicles. Then there is the mail order custom tunes, that are custom tailored to your vehicle and any mods you have but are not precise and can get you more power than a canned tune will. And finally, there is the custom tune with a dyno session, they are usually done by a local shop and can get you the most gains and fix any drive-ability issues you may have, but they are expensive. I just had my mustang dyno tuned and I already had a device and it cost 500 just for the session.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.