Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

2004 4.0 timing chain replacement

66K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  MudMan 
#1 ·
A friend has a 04 Explorer that he can get for free was told it runs but timing chain is bad.How hard of a job and what else might be messed up in the engine? Any advice

#7 ·
Don't know what he's doing with it yet its get 220,000 miles on it and wouldn't start.When they went to move it to neutral to put it on the trailer the lever broke. The guy says it runs but has no power.And the engine does making noise.

#9 ·
mine is making a clicking noise when it first starts up already looked it up and found its my timing chain tensioners already bought them just have to replace them will probably do it tomorrow after I take gf to the salvage yard

#10 ·
watched a video on it and dont have to pull anything for the back one on passenger can get to it from under front pass wheel well the fornt one however i do need to pull intake water pump assembly and remove some hoses but shouldnt be to bad already got the 27mm socket for them

#15 ·
While you have it down that far, replace the thermostat housing assembly, they're less than $30 on rock auto iirc and are prone to leaking/cracking. They can be changed without removing the intake, but its a pain. Replace it while its down and easy...

SVT

#16 ·
How hard is it to replace the front cartridge just started clanking again even after replacing both front n rear tensioners im assuming its the cartridge as I hear it coming from the drivers side valve cover and the catalytic converter coming from that side

#20 ·
Should only take you about 30 minutes to pull the FEAD. All the accessories bolt to just 2 brackets. Pull the alternator, pull the ac compressor, then unbolt the brackets. The power steering pump & reservior can stay on the bracket. Pull the harmonic balancer, valve cover then the timing cover. I might have missed a step or 2, but thats roughly whats needed to pull it...

SVT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.