Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > Ford Mustang Discussions

Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
GreenEnvy
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 1275
What I Drive: 13 stang

GreenEnvy Excellent Standing Member
ecoboost thoughts

Im just not sold on the new ecoboost stang.
sure its quick, but how much more can you push the engine, its already turbo.
and the gas mileage isnt that great. cmon, 1 more mpg than a sixer? thats pathetic.
the six has way more room to grow than the 4 will ever have.

whats your thoughts?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I personally think the 6 is the least desirable of the 3. I think they sound like crap (sorry, but I don't like the sound of anything but an 8 piston orchestra), as well as the 4 cylinder. However, at least the latter has a turbo sound to make up for it. I am pretty confident you'll see these Ecoboost Mustangs in the 11's with minor mods and a tune. I have not heard of any issues with the other Ecoboost motors holding up to boost.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
disciplerocks
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 403
What I Drive: Couple Foci, Couple RBVs

disciplerocks Excellent Standing Memberdisciplerocks Excellent Standing Member
I've heard of a few of the Focus STs already getting damaged from upgrades. My friend Shaun was lucky enough to get his motor replaced under warranty.

I'd personally wait till the aftermarket catches up and there are others who have safely upgraded them.
00 F150 XLT DD/Tow Pig
04 Focus ZX3 RIP
89 Bronco II XLT RIP

Moderating
-Blue Oval Build Showroom
-Ford Crossovers & SUVs
-Ford Mustang
-Ford Trucks
-General Ford Chat
Old 01-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
GreenEnvy
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 1275
What I Drive: 13 stang

GreenEnvy Excellent Standing Member
thing is its already 310hp out of the 4. yeah they have gotten one into the low 12s with tune and alot of mods (exhaust, air intake, modified turbo, injectors, etc) pushing around 380hp. but the company straight up said its not streetable and durability is questionable without major engine internals.
meanwhile the six has been in the 10s easily with nothing more than a single turbo and its stock (they are shooting a 100 shot on it also), cranking just shy of 600hp w/o nitrous. and the guys have been flogging it for over 10k miles trying to get the engine to let loose.
guess my thought is its far cheaper and easier to build the six. a procharger is about 5200 and jacks it to 475. turbos hp depends which company and the tune but varies from 450 on up.

how much would one spend on the 4 banger to get anywhere near that and have durability (way more by the time you add up)
Old 01-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Or.... just get a GT and be done with it.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Hallford
Cadet

Fan#: 3899
What I Drive: Blue Ford Focus

Hallford Good Standing Member
What about these specs right here? Can they be true or not?

http://autosoverviews.com/2018-ford-...-shelby-gt350/