Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Fiesta > Classic Fiestas

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
redrider
Cadet

Fan#: 1018
What I Drive: 1980 Yellow Ford Fiesta

redrider Great Standing Member
What is a MK1?

Hello everybody.
Just got through registering on this forum and this is my first post. Please have mercy on me if I ask "dumb" questions. We found a 1980 ford Fiesta for very little cash so I bought it to tow behind my Bus Conversion (1963 GM 4106). It originally came from Canada and the instumentation are metric numerals. Would someone tell me what is a MK1? Any source for parts and information would also be appriciated.

Unread 04-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
tukaniRAY
Command Pilot

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus / 08 Ford Edge SEL

tukaniRAY Great Standing Member
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see some new people.

MKI ... is the acronym for Mark I, or in other words, version 1 of the vehicle.

What got you to buy the MKI Fiesta? New project?

What are your plans, if you don't me asking.

-Ray-
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
redrider
Cadet

Hi Ray,

Thanks for asking. I bought the car from a fellow who owned it for 23 years and used it for a toad behind his RV. He has another car now and is moving to Canada. I offered him an insulting price and he took it so I drove off into the sunset.

My plans are to give it the TLC that is long overdue and fix the brakes so it will stop. The go part is fine but little braking is not good. Once it's up to speed (no pun intended) I'll paint it to match my motorhome and off we go. At least thats the plan.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
tukaniRAY
Command Pilot

Nice. Do you have a photo of your newly acquired ride?

Would be great to see some of the progress you will be going through and what work you have cut out for you with the photo. ... and hopefully future photos.

So, will it stay as a daily ride with your motorhome?

-Ray-
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
redrider
Cadet

Sorry no photos yet. It's sitting in my shop with he wheels off while waiting for parts.

Speaking of parts..... I got this MK1 and found it had some odd ball rear shocks installed. After spending the better part of the day between Ford, NAPA,Orielly's and Auto Zone, it seems no one has a listing for those rear shocks. I did get a part # from Ford however it's no longer serviced. I can't believe there isn't any at all. Could somebody out there offer any suggestions?

Thanks for any help at all.
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
tukaniRAY
Command Pilot

Hmm ... You may have to check out some shops in the European market.

Also there is an online company called RockAuto that has older ride parts but not sure how old.

Here is a link to RockAuto: CLICK HERE FOR THEIR SITE

There is a UK company under the name PumaSpeed that has performance parts for older Fiestas ... since they have some experience with the older models (Since the US didn't really keep the Fiesta here) they may be able to answer some questions for you. Like what parts may be able to fit in the MKI Fiesta.

Here is their link: CLICK HERE FOR THEIR SITE

Good luck ... and let us know what you find out. I would like to know as well. I was once thinking about getting a MKI Fiesta and building it with some newparts. But I understand that would probably be a full custom build.

-Ray-
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
redrider
Cadet

Thank you one more time Ray. I found an outfit on the West Coast by the name of Car Parts Wholesale. I used their online ordering and got everything I need for the brakes, door handles, hatch struts and even a heater core however they have no listing for the rear shocks. I went to the web page of all the major shock Mfg's and can not find even a part #. Our local Ford dealer gave me a "blow up" of the rear suspension and the shock package but they no longer service that part. After a little study on the tear sheet,it looks like there is a bracket unique to the MK1. With such a small marked I'm guessing they simply quit making a part that didn't sell. Anyway I hate to do it but it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate something.

Thanks again for your support "Rock" has front shocks/struts but no rear. You're idea of checking things out across the "pond" sound like a smart idea.

We will post here with any news.
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
tukaniRAY
Command Pilot

Good to hear.

Could you give the website for the West Coast company so for anyone else also looking for parts else where on US soil.

Thanks.

-Ray-
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
redrider
Cadet

Sure,

The website is www.carpartswholesale.com and the phone is 1 800 387 8108. They seem to provide a very high level of service.
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
redrider
Cadet

I don't know why the previous post says "spam". anyway it's carpartswholesale with a www in front of it.