Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm now the proud new owner of a 2011 Ford Fiesta S Sedan. I was reading the owners manual and seen that it recommends an oil change every 10,000 miles. I've never hear of this before. Traditionally, it's every 3 months or 3,000 miles here in the US.

Anyone know what makes the Fiesta be able to go so long without an oil change? Do you guys recommend that I go this long or should I change it more often?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dinosaurs walked the earth when oil changes were 3 month or 3000 miles. Even my '65 Corvair is longer than that. It's just a scam by the oil change places to make more money.

In 1985 I bought a new Ford Tempo. Had it nine years and 187,000 mile. Never added or used oil. Went 10,000 miles between oil changes. My '95 Neon went 218,000 miles with same schedule and results. I don't remember what the owners manual said I should do, but I exceded it with no problems. DON'T change your oil at 3/3. Follow what the owners manual says, not what someone who is going to make moeny off you says!!! Oils are lots better today than even a few years ago. Engines are cleaner. Old days had lead in gas, some would end up in the oil.

Dan
'65 Corvair convertible
'11 Fiesta SE sedan

·
Registered
158 Posts
We did our first oil change in November at 7,400 miles. Even though the 10,000 mile change interval the manual calls is supposedly safe, I still think that 7,400 miles was about right. That said, however, a Master Mechanic I know at the dealership told me once that Ford engineers deliberately overdesign these engines to take a certain amount of abuse/neglect since not everybody routinely adheres to a set maintenance schedule, new-car warranty or no.

I'm still going to do future oil changes around 7,500 miles (8,000 tops), since that's my own personal "comfort level" in this situation.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
10,000 if you drive it on highways alot.. 5,000 if you drive; at low speeds, let the car idle alot, drive in dusty conditions, drive in realy cold weather, and if you race it... my car sees a little of everything on that list, so i go by the 5 :D

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
We did our first oil change in November at 7,400 miles. Even though the 10,000 mile change interval the manual calls is supposedly safe, I still think that 7,400 miles was about right. That said, however, a Master Mechanic I know at the dealership told me once that Ford engineers deliberately overdesign these engines to take a certain amount of abuse/neglect since not everybody routinely adheres to a set maintenance schedule, new-car warranty or no.

I'm still going to do future oil changes around 7,500 miles (8,000 tops), since that's my own personal "comfort level" in this situation.

Bob
^^^ Yeah, I would do the first change earlier. Myself, 2-3 K...Then after that every 6 - 8 K should be good. I'm sure it will probably be fine at 10K if you use good oil and keep it clean.

I believe they are changing oil intervals based on the better quality of oil for one large factor over what it was years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts