Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FF Founder
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford's all-new 2011 Fiesta - an Internet star even before it goes on sale this summer - will now stand out on the highway with an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified 40 mpg rating, making it the most fuel efficient car in its class.

The Ford Fiesta 40 mpg, achieved with Ford's new six-speed PowerShift automatic transmission, is 5 mpg better than the Honda Fit and 4 mpg better than the Toyota Yaris.

"The new Fiesta is yet another car in Ford's lineup that delivers class-leading fuel economy," said Barb Samardzich, vice president, Global Powertrain Engineering. "From Super Duty to Fusion Hybrid and the new Mustang V-6, Ford is committed to fuel economy leadership with every new vehicle it introduces in all segments."

Fiesta's class-leading fuel efficiency follows Fusion Hybrid - America's most fuel efficient midsize sedan - and other fuel economy champs such as the Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner Hybrid and Ford Ranger pickup. For 2011, the streak continues with the Mustang V-6, Ford Super Duty and now the responsive, sporty and economical Fiesta. Moving forward, Ford is committed to being a fuel economy leader in each segment in which it competes.

The Fiesta achieves its best-in-segment fuel figures thanks to a host of fuel-saving technologies not normally seen at this price level. To increase fuel economy, Fiesta features a new 1.6-liter Duratec® engine with Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) that delivers 120 horsepower, an aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff and an engine accessory drive system that improves efficiency by reducing the energy it takes to power the air conditioner and alternator.

In addition, the Fiesta also features the PowerShift transmission, a six-speed automatic that combines the fuel benefits of a manual with the convenience of an automatic. Combine that with electric power-assisted steering, another fuel saver and some aerodynamic optimizations and you have a car that can go a long way on a single tank of fuel.

"We worked hard to deliver the class-leading fuel economy Ford is becoming synonymous for," said Steve Pintar, Fiesta chief nameplate engineer. "To be the only vehicle in the segment to deliver 40 mpg is something we feel consumers will appreciate."

The 2011 Fiesta with standard five-speed manual transmission is EPA rated at 28 mpg city and 37 mpg highway.

These efficiency innovations combine with the stylish and aerodynamically clean Fiesta body design to efficiently slip through the wind with both fuel savings and reduced wind noise.

Fiesta is built for North American markets at Ford's manufacturing facility in Cuautitlan, Mexico. The vehicle goes on sale in four-door sedan and five-door hatchback body styles - with the sedan starting at $13,995, including destination charges - at Ford dealerships this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With today's economic situation, fuel economy is always being considered by consumers and vehicles such as the Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus consistently rank at the top of the class for fuel economy but according to Green Automobile Reports, the Ford Motors has an image problem. As reported by a poll, Ford's fuel economy efforts are not bearing fruit in the public belief. A whopping 68 percent of those questioned by the car maker are dissatisfied with Ford's take on fuel economy. Better check this out: Public opinion poll: Ford fuel economy is severely lacking.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Oh yeah, I can get 33 in the focus wagon, but usually average 29. Glad to see the fiesta can make 40 highway... I am waiting to see how the 3 cyl. turbo does before I buy. I'm ready the focus is at 200K. (well 196)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Same here ... I need another daily vehicle. My wife's Edge gets boring at times, but comfortable.

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
They will probably drop the new lot ones probably no more than 15%.

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
But if you are thinking about buying, and don't mind getting a new last year model, wait until right after Christmas. They jack up the price from Oct, over Thanksgiving, up to Christmas. Then to make their end of year sales goals, they bump all of the over stock last year models quite a bit to sell them before the new year arrives.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
But if you are thinking about buying, and don't mind getting a new last year model, wait until right after Christmas. They jack up the price from Oct, over Thanksgiving, up to Christmas. Then to make their end of year sales goals, they bump all of the over stock last year models quite a bit to sell them before the new year arrives.

-Ray-
^^^ Yes sir , perfect advice!. I bought my focus in February for that very reason. They made me a great deal

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's what I am going to try to do this year. Wait for that time to come and then see how much they would sell the 2011 Fiesta to me. Really want a Lim Green in Standard.

-Ray-

·
Registered
16 Posts
i like the green on the Fiesta

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 Fiesta with the standard engine averages about 37 MPG in the summer. We used to have a Honda Fit. It averaged 39-40 in the summer. Our 2014 Fiestas with the 1.0 liter engine averages about 38.5 in the summer. It's gotten 47 MPG in highway driving, but does a little worse than the old standard engine in stop and go driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts