Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to post up a thread about this because I know it's been a BIG topic of debate between my friends and I. As many of you know, you do not have the ability to disable the traction control on the 2011 Fiesta.

Yes, there is a talked about work-around where you can pull the ABS fuse under the hood, or disconnect one of the wheel sensors to shut down the system; but I feel that that is a bit overkill as that also shuts off other systems that are important to vehicle control.

Many have expressed concerns that because of its light weight the Fiesta will too easily get stuck on snow and ice without the ability to defeat the TC when needed. I was one of those people. I held off entirely taking the Fiesta out in any amount of snow and ice for the past 3 months, choosing to instead thrash the Focus in the white stuff because I already know exactly how that will react [thumb]

But, after our recent 3 storms here, two of which were heavy in ice, I can say with some certainty that you need to work... HARD to get the traction control to kick in on the Fiesta. As in, you need to be physically trying to spin the wheels and set off the system before it cuts power and lights up the dash with the slipping car icon.

Just thought you should all be aware. I'm becoming more and more confident that the lack of ability to defeat the TC is not a crutch for this car.

But we'll make final judgment when AutoX season comes around [woot]

·
Registered
66 Posts
It took me a couple trips in snow and ice to get over being so worried about the car's handling ability. It really does a good job cutting through the snow so far. I've only got the traction control to kick on when smashing on the gas... That'll happen in any car with tc.

Either way, I tried driving my focus again in the snow and instantly went back to my fiesta. It felt safer in all honesty... Oh and now the focus is dead so it will sit and fiesta will get winter duty. :(

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Thats good to hear Slip...Yeah one of my few complaints...TC is fine, just give me the ability to shut it off if I want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats good to hear Slip...Yeah one of my few complaints...TC is fine, just give me the ability to shut it off if I want.
I'm with you Bill, but thankfully Ford seems to have designed a very functional set of TC controls for this car. It will step in when needed, but it is not an overly obtrusive electronic nanny.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok I had my first ordeal with fighting traction control last night. I headed to Akron last night (mind you all of northern ohio got hammered with freezing rain and snow/sleet the last 2 days). That being said, Akron has some hills. You do the math...

Regardless of what gear, how little/much I was on the gas and how much I had a headstart uphill - the car struggled. I tried to avoid triggering traction control but it was on constantly and I nearly stalled and got stuck a good handful of times.

Going with all of that... I want to be able to disable this on command. So question to all the electrician types out there and familiarity with the car so far - What can be done as far as wiring in a switch to disable the TC? I'm not concerned about being illegal for autocross classes fyi lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the build date on your car Megz?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Give or take a couple days, but early November 2010 is my build date. I can double check when I head out to my car in a few minutes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having driven in snow for 36 years in many types of cars, the Fiesta isn't all that good. I think it ties for last place for my front wheel drive cars. The lack of traction contol switch is a major factor. My commute to work is 60 miles round trip. I live in Minnesota, so we get a lot of snow. I do like the ABS and stability contol. Next winter I will be getting snow tires. $$$. Not happy about that. I will have a switch to disable the electronic when I need to. Ford SHOULD have done this.

Dan

·
FF Founder
1,585 Posts
Having driven in snow for 36 years in many types of cars, the Fiesta isn't all that good. I think it ties for last place for my front wheel drive cars. The lack of traction contol switch is a major factor. My commute to work is 60 miles round trip. I live in Minnesota, so we get a lot of snow. I do like the ABS and stability contol. Next winter I will be getting snow tires. $$$. Not happy about that. I will have a switch to disable the electronic when I need to. Ford SHOULD have done this.

Dan
If you do, it would be great if you can create a how-to on creating the switch for everyone to use as well.[:)]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will say on flat ground and snowy/icy conditions, the car is ok and handles better than a number of cars I've driven in snow. The hills are definitely the issue.

Now as far as the switch goes.. I'm going to probably a push button in the same console as the heated seat/ambient lighting switch. I called ford and helm (manufacturer for fords manuals) about ordering the fiesta wiring guide .. But it's unavailable until June 10th :(

FYI helms price is 79.99 and fords price is 120$.... So il be calling helm in 4 months to order as ford dealers can't get the book until the June date anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only had the TC kick on twice. Both times I was accelerating just a little too hard away from an icy intersection after a light. It would probably help to get some snow tires, but since winter is basically over (well, in another month or so) and I've been doing fine on the standard tires I figure why bother this year.

Braking on icy patches has been very good too. Only had a single incident and that was all my fault.

My only complaint so far is the fact that it can take some time for the car to warm up and defrost after being parked outside all night in below 0F weather. Tried to see about getting the block heater going, but I can't find a way to get the plug out from under the hood without leaving the hood open in it's lowered resting position.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you do, it would be great if you can create a how-to on creating the switch for everyone to use as well.[:)]
I will post when it's up and running. Have to wait til spring.

The plan is to follow the wire from the left rear ABS wheel sensor into the trunk/hatch/interior. Cut it, splice in a wire to each end of the cuts, run the wire to a switch mounted next to the dash light dimmer switch. Hope it is as simple as it sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can honestly say that I am very surprised by how the Fiesta handles the good ol Canadian winter. This is by far the best car I have driven in the winter and I expected the opposite.

In the year and a half I had my Focus, I got stuck twice. My Acura would bottom out in the rain, so that's not a fair compairison.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just have a note on tires. My last car, a Toyota Matrix had Goodyear RSA's. Bad in snow, rain, dry. Got a cheap store brand, somewhat better. The next set was a set of Perrelli's(Spelling?) Don't remember the model, but they are no longer made. They were very good. You just can't tell by looking at them and and after you buy them it's to late. Perhaps the factory tires are also junk. I'm getting snow tires this Wednesday, if there are any to be found in my size. I'm sure tires will be much more money next fall. In case anyone didn't notice, oil prices are way up. [eek] But since we drive Fiesta's, I can understand if you haven't noticed.[:)]

Dan
65 Corvair convertible[cool] Hibernating
11 Fiesta SE sedan

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I run hangkook ice bears in the winter on my stock focus rims and I must say they work great. I keep the fancy 17's for the summer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
^^ that's what I did as well, too bad my ice bears are much past the winter wear level lol. The 17's will be going to the fiesta from now on however :]

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I get 2 good winters out of the ice bears, and finish "em off the next spring. One set made 3 years. But we do drive alot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts