Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 Fiesta SE model and have noticed an ever-so-slight zig-zagging at highway speeds. Seems like the electronic steering stiffens up a bit on the highway. When the car starts to drift left or right slightly, you make a slight adjustment with the steering wheel, but because the steeering has been stiffened up at highway speeds, you're actually over-correcting a little bit and therefore the car goes a little too far left or right. You then try to adjust and same thing happens again. The steering also seems like it stiffens up and then relaxes and repeats this every little bit, too. Is this a common thing for the new electronic steering system that is installed in newer cars? If it is, I don't much like it. I'm used to the older cars with a power steering pump and a belt. Any suugestions/ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I"d have the tires checked at the dealer for ballance and make sure they are on true. I have driven 2 fiesta and haven't noticed that.

And yeah, I prefer the "old" belt and pump too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Something is wrong. Mine is so strait and true, you would not think you could make a car this good. And I have the cheapo 15 wheels and tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What were you driving before you bought the Fiesta?
Was the steering as tight?

Could be that you haven't adjusted to the tighter steering yet.
When I go from driving my BMW for a week or so and hop in the Focus and go down the highway, I'm more wobbly and overcorrective since my Focus is at least 10x tighter than my 7's steering

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
What were you driving before you bought the Fiesta?
Was the steering as tight?

Could be that you haven't adjusted to the tighter steering yet.
When I go from driving my BMW for a week or so and hop in the Focus and go down the highway, I'm more wobbly and overcorrective since my Focus is at least 10x tighter than my 7's steering
^^^ That is a good point...Could be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2012 Fiesta SE model and have noticed an ever-so-slight zig-zagging at highway speeds. Seems like the electronic steering stiffens up a bit on the highway. When the car starts to drift left or right slightly, you make a slight adjustment with the steering wheel, but because the steeering has been stiffened up at highway speeds, you're actually over-correcting a little bit and therefore the car goes a little too far left or right. You then try to adjust and same thing happens again. The steering also seems like it stiffens up and then relaxes and repeats this every little bit, too. Is this a common thing for the new electronic steering system that is installed in newer cars? If it is, I don't much like it. I'm used to the older cars with a power steering pump and a belt. Any suugestions/ideas would be appreciated.
(Had vehicle 11 months) I am experiencing the exact same problem. The Fiesta drives excellent around town but is a hand full at interstate speeds. The dealer inspected the car first then I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company. They advised the vehicle was functioning as designed. If that is the case Ford has designed a vehicle to promote driver over-steer, driver stress, and driver fatigue. I can deal with the steering for short periods of time but trips are terrible. I am very sorry I purchased the Fiesta. If you are in the market for a new car and plan to take 100+ mile trips, I suggest you consider another brand. I have been driving Fords for 48 years but no more. 08/10/2012 UPDATE - I finally got the steering problem resolved - I got rid of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as stated by the above posts, it could either be because you have yet to adjust to a tighter steering. and we guys can assure you that the ford fiesta is a mighty fine ride indeed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same experience too.

(Had vehicle 11 months) I am experiencing the exact same problem. The Fiesta drives excellent around town but is a hand full at interstate speeds. The dealer inspected the car first then I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company. They advised the vehicle was functioning as designed. If that is the case Ford has designed a vehicle to promote driver over-steer, driver stress, and driver fatigue. I can deal with the steering for short periods of time but trips are terrible. I am very sorry I purchased the Fiesta. If you are in the market for a new car and plan to take 100+ mile trips, I suggest you consider another brand. I have been driving Fords for 48 years but no more.
I am on the 3rd day of my HERTZ RENT TO BUY evaluation and would have bought this car had i not spent most of yesterday on the interstate trying to keep the FIESTA in my lane. Twice I went into other peoples lanes unintentionally at 70 mph. Since i have driven another car with speed sensitive steering of similar size and weight without having to spend all my concentration on keeping the car in the center of my lane, i looked to this forum to see if there mite be some way of adjusting the electronic steering. The driving dynamics at freeway speeds make this particular car unsafe to the driver and surrounding vehicles in my opinion. [eek]

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Sounds like a toe issue on alignment more than an electric steering glitch. I'd have the car aligned before I did anything else. Should be free on a new car IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also having same issue, steering is way to light! Is there any adjustment that can be done, resister since its electric?
Would a steering dampener work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same experience too. We have just got a 2012 fiesta 1.25 zetec and have a problem with the steering, it does not self center when the wheel is turned, it's been back to the dealer who made some adjustments which improved this but not completely...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts