Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So my brother's '13 Mustang GT has been making this odd winding noise from the rear end. It does not have the 3.73 gear ratio (his 2011 did and that didnt even make this noise) and the noise happens at all speeds in all gears (neutral included). I've attached a youtube clip of the audio, taken from inside the cabin, you can here it sounds like a winding noise and its much louder in real life and extremely annoying.

The car has just over 6,000 miles on it and has the 6-speed manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, next question(s). Does the whine happen under all conditions, like hard acceleration, light acceleration, and deceleration? If they have an issue, gears will usually whine under one, but not all of those conditions. If it happens under all, I would suspect a wheel bearing then.

To properly check the wheel bearings, you'll want to probably remove the calipers.

Are the 3.73's factory? I thought they had 3.55's in them.
It happens under all conditions. Accelerating fast and slow, coasting, and when moving in neutral.

His car has the 3.55 gear ratio.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
With only 6k miles, it should be under warranty, and I would take it in for that...

SVT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of them might give you an idea it is bad too if it has a leaky seal.

Posting from the Galaxy.
Yea it's weird because the car just started doing it, so we were wondering if the diff fluid had gone or something.

My brother spoke with Ford and will be taking it in sometime next week I think (my guess is they'll be keeping it for a while). Just wondering if it can be driven until then, don't want to cause irreparable damage of course.

Thanks!

He bought the car in Maine, lives in MA so it won't be the same dealer he brings it to. I've not had great luck with bringing new cars (had a 2012 Ford Focus before the charger) into dealers other than the one I purchased at so that was/is a worry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you figure this out?
The car is at the dealer right now.
They say (haven't opened it up) that they think someone may have tried to put other gears in it...

My brother bought the car used (right before I started this thread) with 6,500 miles on it.

I went on the test drive with him and can confirm it didn't make the noise when he picked it up. Now makes the noise constantly. If someone did do something like that I don't know what recourse there is for him... Pretty ridiculous and unfortunate situation. The car was at the dealer he bought it from for nearly a thousand miles though... Which would indicate to me that maybe they knew of the issue and had attempted to fix it (despite their signed form saying they knew of no mechanical defects)...

Here is the carfax.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1ZVBP8CF1D5237699

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So he bought it on June 28th it appears? Does your state have a lemon law?
Massachusetts does (where the car is now registered) but my brother bought the car in Maine which probably does not. I mean if he needs a new rear end and its not covered under warranty Im assuming it's a multi-thousand dollar repair, no?

Carfax is such garbage, the world was a better place without it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can usually get it done for 5-600 dollars around here.
So in Massachusetts dollars we're looking at 2-3000 dollars? lol :(

My brother has been in contact with the dealer he bought the car from. Apparently the previous owner is an employee and they both swear that they did not replace or attempt to replace the gears. I'm not sure what happens if ford says different (why would they not). If they do I think they'll have lost a loyal customer in my brother (he's had 4 Mustangs and a Fusion since 2006) but that doesn't help the current situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the employee that owned it said he didn't tamper with it, that's golden. Unless they are trying to point a finger at your brother?
Don't think they legitimately could. My brother contacted the dealer as soon as the problem occurred (the day after he bought it). Of course my brother took the car to a dealer in MA not the one in maine he bought from since it's pretty far away...

I've learned from previous experiences to try not to buy a car from a different dealer than the one you'll be getting it repaired at (I had a 2012 Focus bought in NH brand new, that had to be brought in to a local MA dealer for multiple in warranty repairs) and they really sucked. Same thing with my Charger, tried to have a dealer in my town perform warranty work and they also treat me like dirt (3 weeks to get a loaner...). I've also learned that new or old I'm not buying another car without them letting me take it on an extended test drive. All the problems with my brand new charger would have been evident on a long test drive, and I certainly would have walked away (No mechanical issues but general dodge quality issues, rattles, window seals, etc)... Instead I'm stuck driving to the dealer I bought it from (not that its too far ~ 20 mi) already been back 4 times for stupid repairs....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Brother had a Dodge work truck, and said all of the interior parts were very cheap. The three specifics I remember were the door handles broke, the seat adjuster fell off right in his hand, and the vents broke too. They quit buying Dodge because off all of the trips to the dealer.

Posting from the Galaxy.
Well I'll say the interior has gotten much much better than it was in the past (2010 Charger or earlier, 2014 challenger or early. My Charger is also fully loaded. That being said, I shouldn't have any rattling or other issues on a brand new near $40k MSRP car. I did know of the dodge quality issues but I bought it because its without a doubt the best bang for your buck you can get (I walked away paying 30k for my charger). I use the comparison to Chevy/other GMs because GM is even worse than Dodge and yet they charge ridiculous prices for their terrible products...

I can't touch Ford because I still love them and I think they're much better quality now than dodge or chevy. Fords are a bit more expensive than Dodges but still cheaper than GM products... I really can't figure out why anyone buys GM. 45k for the Chevy SS sedan is laughable, $55k base for the Corvette is also laughable, it may be good performance but it is all plastic and for that kinda money a car should be much better build IMO.

Ford had it's issues in the 90s then got better once sales slipped. Dodge had its issues and got bought by Fiat (and amazingly is getting better quality under their control). GM meanwhile is terrible quality should have gone bankrupt but instead was given a pass to keep doing things badly, I theorize that they tack on an extra 20% in msrp to recoup the money they 'paid back' in the bail out.

In case you can't tell I really hate GM now (wasn't the case before 2009)

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I use the comparison to Chevy/other GMs because GM is even worse than Dodge and yet they charge ridiculous prices for their terrible products...
You do know that GM stands for Garbage Motors right? And since 2009 it's Govt Motors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You do know that GM stands for Garbage Motors right? And since 2009 it's Govt Motors.
Yup, Government Motors. Their slogan is "Good enough for government work" ;)

My brother did hear back from the ford dealer he dropped the car off at today and they say that someone did tamper with the gears... I'm not sure how I trust them because what reason would they have to say differently?
Regardless the dealer my brother bought it from said they will take car of it so he's bringing it back up to Maine this weekend... The Ford dealer it was at today said that it looked like someone was going to put in different gears but "chickened out" and that the drivetrain wasn't seated properly or something...

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Yup, Government Motors. Their slogan is "Good enough for government work" ;)

My brother did hear back from the ford dealer he dropped the car off at today and they say that someone did tamper with the gears... I'm not sure how I trust them because what reason would they have to say differently?
Regardless the dealer my brother bought it from said they will take car of it so he's bringing it back up to Maine this weekend... The Ford dealer it was at today said that it looked like someone was going to put in different gears but "chickened out" and that the drivetrain wasn't seated properly or something...
I call BS. On the rear axle, the only way you can "chicken out" is after you have the pinion out (and screw something up). The only thing you "can't seat properly" is the pinion nut, and even then it takes a real tool to screw that up...

SVT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I call BS. On the rear axle, the only way you can "chicken out" is after you have the pinion out (and screw something up). The only thing you "can't seat properly" is the pinion nut, and even then it takes a real tool to screw that up...

SVT
I'd call BS on all of it lol. However the car was 'fixed' in warranty. Here is the portion of the work-order showing what was done (it's extensive)

Now the car is making a loud clunking noise when it goes over any bumps. Obviously the car was fixed in warranty at a ford dealer. Unfortunately the dealer that fixed it is in Maine, would another ford dealer now fix the clunking sound under warranty after it was touched by the first ford dealer?

This is turning out to be a cursed car... Surrounded by apparently terrible dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Warranty is warranty, as long as it was brought to the dealer for warranty to be done. I'd bring it in and tell them it was recently in for warranty work...

SVT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can a dealer charge a diagnostic fee for a car under warranty?

He brought it to Bonnell Ford and they charged a diagnostic fee the first time, which the dealer he bought the car from reimbursed him for (it even ended up being under warranty)...

I have brought my warrantied cars in for repair work many times and never been asked to pay or paid a diagnostic fee...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ive only had to pay a fee once and that was under an extended warrenty. Never for the bumper to bumper 3/36 0r 5/60

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive only had to pay a fee once and that was under an extended warrenty. Never for the bumper to bumper 3/36 0r 5/60
That's what I would have figured.

The dealer he brought it to for the clunk was able to fix it quickly. The dealer that fixed the winding noise had left some parts loose on the rear suspension.

Everything seems to be fixed now :)

Good call on the pinion bearings. I think that was the main problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts