Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you must have track apps in your v6... you must order a v6 premium which it starts in the base 200a package.
You cannot get it in the regular v6 model. even with the performance package.
now theres a big downside to having to have it... weight.
I will build both as comperable as possible to show what i mean and what they don't tell you.
base v6, performance package (deletes spare and tools, shaker sound system),
recaro seat option (cloth only in base), rear backup sensing and security package (same both models).
Now the big difference...
premium, performance package (spare w/tools, shaker sound), recaros (leather only), as well as other weight adding things.

ford claims the mustang weighs 3511lbs (nicely equiped without extra options). Look at the weight on the door sticker of a premium sometime, or the window sticker if at the dealer. it is known that the premiums w/ perf pack and mt do 13.9 in the 1/4 (sea level).
my base ordered the way I did with perf pack, recaros... 3300lbs
remember the drag saying... drop a hundred lbs drop a tenth.
now to get the track apps and equip the car the way i did would have been almost $3000 more and well over 200lbs more. Now you know why, even tho I had my heart set on track apps, they just weren't worth it to me when I was after performance. How many sets of tires can that 3k buy me? or go fast parts?
Sometimes a "thats cool, I gotta have it" item or option isn't, once you actually look outside the box.
Guess as I get older I begin looking more at my objectives and the money spent. If you want to build something fast, don't order something loaded.
leather weighs alot as do premium sound systems such as the shaker.
oh, and a huge no-no... stay away from the glass roof. you want to talk about something that adds a crapload of weight

[3gears] Happy Driving all

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^^^ Very well said my Friend. Lighter is indeed better. This is why I call my base model with 331 gears a sleeper.

·
I don't care
37 Posts
Hoping someone can clarify a question for me.

When "comparing" a base V6 vs the V6 Premium, it shows Cloth Recaros being standard on the Premium model.

However when you "build your own" vehicle, it shows Leather Recaros being standard.

I like some of the features in the Premium, but have a strong preference for cloth upholstery.

Which of the two is actually standard on the Premium?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hoping someone can clarify a question for me.

When "comparing" a base V6 vs the V6 Premium, it shows Cloth Recaros being standard on the Premium model.

However when you "build your own" vehicle, it shows Leather Recaros being standard.

I like some of the features in the Premium, but have a strong preference for cloth upholstery.

Which of the two is actually standard on the Premium?

Thanks in advance!
As in any premium model... leather. Your better off to start with a base and build. The only thing the premium does is package everything. Only nice thing is you can get the c/s and mca editions as options to the premium. But once again at a cost and weight gain. [bikeride]

·
I don't care
37 Posts
As in any premium model... leather. Your better off to start with a base and build. The only thing the premium does is package everything. Only nice thing is you can get the c/s and mca editions as options to the premium. But once again at a cost and weight gain. [bikeride]
Thanks for the clarification.

Pricing out a V6 with the V6 Perf Package and Recaros vs a V6 Premium with the V6 Perf Package, there's a 4K difference in MSRP.

While I do prefer the upgraded audio and Sirius and a couple other features like the auto dimming mirror, they aren't worth 4K. I can upgrade either aftermarket for a whole lot less, and I really do prefer cloth.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's an overview of picks of mine and how it came. mine was 29,070 as ordered
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v197/goinloco1/13 stang/

if you get the base v6 coupe with the 102a tech package(leather wheel with controls, sync, auto dimming mirror, power seat(deleted w/recaros), recaros, performance pack. P.S. I hope you like black interior, it's all you can get with recaros.
then you have the auto dimming mirror (i personally love it).
I also ordered the reverse sensing system with security package(alarm system).
the premium soind system is pretty damn good itself and I found even when I had sirius in my other car i never used it, i always used my ipod or pandora.
The only reason to order the premium is if your dead set on track apps, which everyone I talked with said was cool at first but wore off pretty quick. they mostly use it for the extra guages now...lol.

oh, don't get the auto trans... you don't get the engine cover and a couple of other small things and it's almost 1 second slower in the 1/4.
also with the performance package, don't expect stellar gas mileage. with the manual on the highway doing 75 i get between 25 and 27, but it has been creeping up. and stay away from anything with ethanol in it... your wallet will hate you.

·
I don't care
37 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the tech package. I saw that in the build configurator, but honestly didn't note what was included.

No, the track app thing seems gimicky to me. As you said, it may be cool at first, but I think it would lose it's luster pretty quickly.

Oh hell no. 6 speed manual only in that car; I wouldn't consider an auto in it.

That's about the mileage I get with my GTI. I consistently avg. 27ish all around, but can hit 30-32 with steady, extended freeway driving, so it wouldn't be a hit to the wallet.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after mine hit about 2000 miles its been slowly gaining mileage so I'd expect it to hover around 27ish since the perf pack changes the rear gears from 2.73 to 3.31, which the 2.73 is supposed to get 29 with the manual.
It also depends on keeping your foot out of it...
By the way, I'd start scrounging junkyards for some winter rims and tires if you plan on doing any driving at that time, the pirelli p-zero's have have zero traction on ice or snow. roush and steeda sometimes have 17" takeoffs fairly cheap, but a local yard would probably be cheaper. keep the pirellis for the summer.

·
I don't care
37 Posts
It would be a DD, and like my car, I'd certainly run dedicated winter tires/wheels.

·
I don't care
37 Posts
Finally got a chance to drive a V6/mtx last Friday. It wouldn't be how I would package a car (no perf pkg) and it had the 2.73 rear axle. I have to say it was deceptively quick, but didn't "feel" as quick as my car, but I guess I wasn't expecting it to, based on the additional weight and lower output. I'm sure the 3.31 axle would help quite a bit in low end grunt. I also like the fact there's a decent amount of aftermarket support for it in the way of tunes, etc. All plusses and probably long term would prove to be a bit more reliable than my car.

Build quality seemed quite good. All in all I was pretty happy with it. Now I have to really figure out if I can live w/o the practicality of a hatch, etc.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trust me... hatches are over rated. and there is way more room in the mustang than you think since you also wont have a spare :) (I have a couple of gym bags in there I hide my cleaning supplies and various things in).

·
I don't care
37 Posts
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on a hatch's versatility vs. that of a car with a trunk - be it 2dr or 4 dr. At least the seats fold down. The trunk was definitely roomier than I was expecting, but there are simply some things I can carry in my car that would never, ever fit in a conventional trunked vehicle. Been there/done that.

·
I don't care
37 Posts
Well, wile true for some things... thats why i have a tahoe....lol
lol That would work. Unfortunately I have one set of wheels.

I figure not having a hatch could curtail my Costco trips a bit, save me some cash [thumb]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts