Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Ok so it didn't overheat, but it still bounced back and forth from hot to cold ad I had no heat.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Was the upper rad hose/heater hoses hot to touch? You may have a combination of bad hoses and bad water pump...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
If the pump was bad, wouldn't it just overheat and not drop back to cold?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Not necessarily. If the impeller has excess tolerances due to wear, it'll still pump, just not to capacity, causing hot & cold spikes...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
The other issue I've ran into is the impeller chamber getting full of gunk, and not allowing it to pump to capacity.
This would also lead to cavitation (collapsed hose)...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Tried to burp the system again and it did better on the way home. Really wish I had more time to work on it, but I'm working 12s all week, and it looks like my next day off will be the 22nd, maybe.

Could the heater core be partially clogged? Or is it not part of the bypass like a Ranger?

And the grinding/vibrations are still there. Only does it under load. Its fine at idle or at speed as long as my foot is off the gas.

And why the hell does the water pump from an Explorer (which is what I need) cost $67 and one for the stock motor only cost $25?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
The explorer snout is more compact vs a non explorer. SN 95 mustangs might use the same compact snout, but I can't confirm that as i havent had them side by side...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I think I have the SN95 pump from the Cougar motor. If I wire in the efan, I won't have to worry about the mechanical fan.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
So I filled it up again and have not used the heat for 3 days and its been good.

I think the heater core hoses are backward, but that shouldn't matter. Could the heater core be causing my issues? Its not leaking.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Very unlikely. I would say impossible, but anything is possible. I'd say it was either a bad rad hose or radiator....

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Weird that the issue goes away when not using the heat.

Which also explains why I never had trouble with it in the summer.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Pull the codes. What ecu are you running?

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Explorer.

I'll mess with it when I have time. I think I seen Katie for a total of 4 hours last week.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I know the explorer. What ecu code?

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I'm guessing you're not running cats. Did you mess with timing/does it run smooth? Is the trans shifting into overdrive? Even running baseline it should get about 16-17 mpg. Do you have the front O2's hooked up?

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Yes it has cats, OD working, front O2s hooked up, but not rear.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Cats could be clogged. But you still need to pull codes...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Wondering if I am having head gasket issues.

Pulled the tstat, filled it, and it ran fine the first day. Second day the temp gauge fluctuates and I have intermittent heat again. It looses coolant, but I can't tell if its leaking anywhere because by that time its usually overflowing out the overflow container.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts