Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Do a compression test as well as a leak down test. When doing the leak down test, leave the rad cap off and look for bubbles...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Had the issues this morning on my way to work. Did not do anything to it and drove home without any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
It's doing the same/similar issues as when the 5.8 was in, right?

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
No, it just overheated. Right now its not "overheating", it gets hot then cold.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Still have the mechanical fan? Could be the fan clutch. Start with a new thermostat, dont forget to drill a 1/8" hole in the outer ledge. If it has one of those check ball pieces in the outer ledge, cut the check ball off, and install it with the hole at 12 o'clock...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
The intake is the only thing that I replaced so maybe I need to pull it and check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Pull the codes, it'll tell you if you have a gasket leaking...

SVT

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I would drive on the free way my 5.0 would run really hot. Get off the highway and drive side streets and it would run normal range. Mine was the rad was plugged. Summit sold the alum.2 cores made by Northern. The cores in it where huge. After that it ran right on 160 no matter what.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Day off and tried to go hunting. As soon as I pulled out on the highway, the carrier bearing on the driveshaft started vibrating like mad. Crawled underneath and one of the bolts were loose. Tightened it and it helped a little, but I think the bearing is done. Looks like I need to figure out how I'm going to get a 1 piece shaft under there.

At least I am finally done with work for the year so maybe I can finish up some of the half assed stuff on my swap.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
So I built a new d-shaft tonight with what I had available. I will be making another that is a larger diameter and using this one as a spare.

What I had to work with

Carrier bearing

Old and new

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
D, whats your wheelbase? My f150 has a one piece shaft, if you change the slip yoke, you can probably use that...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
I'll have to measure. The shaft is 69" from MS to MS, but that's shorter than stock because of the 4R70W.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Actually, if you install a 1356/4406, you won't have to modify it. I'll measure from my axle flange to tcase mounting surface, center of shaft joint to center joint, and axle flange to tcase output surface....

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
In process of finding another truck.

Took for a test drive. Driveshaft broke and punched a hole in gas tank.

Really upset, but I don't have the time or money to keep band-aiding it until I can get everything done I want. Bummed that I won't have the truck I want and about all the time and work I've put into this one.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Kool, whats in the 94's future? If you do install the 5.0 in the B2, go with the mustang motor mounts. You know how avid I am about using the plate mounts....til I did a first gen swap recently. Make sure its all the way against the firewall....

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Sounds good. I'm not completely sure what I going to do. Probably strip it and scrap it.

May hord the drive train for my future F100 resto project.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Future F100 resto project? What secret you keeping from us?

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Something I've always wanted to do. May be 2 years may be 20 years from now, but it will happen

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Ahh, ok. I'm on the lookout for a 53 F100, but I've been thinking lately of a 53 F5, would serve as a nice "light duty" tow rig/awesome cruiser...

SVT

201 - 220 of 232 Posts