Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up for $400. Was planning to build my own, but the cost of 2 axles would have run me close to what I got this for.

Its 14x7, 2 6 lug axles with electric brakes.

After looking at it, the guy needed to clear all his stuff off.

Got it home. Also had a full width 8.8 in the bed of the truck too, but she pulled it just fine.

Stripping it down. Going to replace the fenders since they are completely rusted out. Also taking wood off and inspecting the frame. There's a few places that need welded back together.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
You building drive on fenders? What's the crossbeams made of, 3" channel? I would upgrade the rear brakes if you haven't already, cobra brakes if you can swing it, and do the 13" brake upgrade on the front. I think I still have the info to perform the swap for the front...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the Ranger? Yeah I would like to go to the dual pistons up front. Wish I would have kept all my D35 stuff now instead of scrapping it. But I also don't want to dump a bunch of $$ in the front end since I plan to swap it out for a D30 later on. The Dream Beams can be sold for more than what I paid for them.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW if you come across a manual 2.3 4x4 trans for cheap, let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I got the housing, just need the gears. If you hit a junkyard, just pull the tailshaft housing and output shaft of any M5OD and swap yours out. Btw, 3.0 has the best gearing....

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I use the tail shaft from an auto? I have most of one still sitting here.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
No, the output shaft is different. The manual output shaft has the reverse gears on it...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm flat broke so I am going to try to build the fenders with steel I already have. Didn't get very far before running out of wire.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
That back corner looks like a good spot for a surface mount toolbox to store tie down straps, binders and chains. Does it have a lot of tongue weight empty?

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starting to look like a fender. Even if its pieced together.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Started on the ramps and did a little work to the left fender. Trying to figure out what to do for the ramps. I don't want wood like the top, it will cause wind resistance when raised. I need to get a price on some expanded metal.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Even if that's solid tube, I'd question the strength on them. With the trailer being that high, you can make storage pockets under the back of the trailer for the ramps. I know its more coin, but you can make the ramps out of 2" angle, .250 wall, for both the frame and the cross ties...

SVT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts