Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Budget, Etc., Marketing/Advertising, Dodge

Dodge has been wise in reviving old nameplates to inject some excitement into its contemporary model lineup. Recent products like the Challenger and Charger - both named after classics from the brand's past - have drummed up a considerable amount of enthusiasm where names like Stratus and Intrepid could not. But don't expect that formula to be applied to everything Dodge puts out.

Contrary to rumors that the upcoming replacement for the Caliber would bear the name Hornet, a report from The Detroit News suggests that it will not. The nameplate originates from the Hudson Hornet that was built by the American Motors Corporation in the 1950s and the AMC Hornet that followed in the '70s before the company was subsumed into Chrysler. The original re-appeared as Doc Hudson in the computer-animated Pixar film Cars, and was revived off-screen for a concept car (pictured above) which Dodge showed in 2006.

The new production compact, set to compete against the likes of the Chevrolet Cruze and Ford Focus, will fill a critical role for Chrysler, which currently lacks a viable competitor in that vital segment. Whatever it's called, it's being jointly developed with Fiat and is expected to bow sometime early in the new year. We'll just have to wait to see what they call it.Dodge won't call its new small car Hornet originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Text Source: Autoblog

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
What were the names of the two transformers with the ghetto accents? LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hornet was originally a Hudson in the '50's. Noted for a powerful strait six. Hudson merged with Nash and formed American Motors. The reused it in the early '70's on their compact car. AMC had several owners, and finally Chrysler owned them. The name is way too old and not relivent anymore. Is it a good name? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Nope, not digging the styling of this ride.

I would take the Kia Soul over this.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Yeah, the Kia Soul is really growing on me. I think they are a sharp looking little car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts