Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from some people that its does major damage to your engine, I've also heard its no big deal. Is it okay to down shift if I want to slow down? or should I just use my brakes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your downshift and your RPM's are 7000-6000 and coming down, that is hard on the engine. Puts a lot of stress. Over time it could show up as a problem. Brakes a lot cheaper to replace than engine parts. :)

I would use brakes and downshifts, but at lower RPM's. It all depends on your preference really. You would put it in neutral, or leave it in gear til you get to the speed you want to shift into gear.

Im not an expert, but thats my take.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I agree with Chadwicksracing.

Brakes are a WHOLE LOT cheaper than tranny parts.

-Ray-

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I can't wait til I get some good weather up here in philly so that I can finally ride with my windows down....enjoying life!

·
Banned
3 Posts
I've heard from some people that its does major damage to your engine, I've also heard its no big deal. Is it okay to down shift if I want to slow down? or should I just use my brakes?
iagree as well. My wife does the whole netrual thing then shifts in to gear of course she is learning the ways of the stick.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
you can downshift to match your engine speed to a corner exit, other than that, there is really no need ( except maybe on a long downhill grade) to use the engine as a brake. The brakes do a FAR better job :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
it wont hurt it at low rpms.. it wont hurt it at high rpms as long as you rev match the engine before you let out the clutch. ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
As others have said that there is little harm in doing downshifts. I tend to do Rev matching as much as I can in all my downshifts if I can. This really aids in slowing down in quickly or exting turns.

The thing to remember too is that the more you are using your cluch the more ware you are putting on it. So you dont down shift every gear at every stop. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts