Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the current owner of an ‘07 Commander. I like the vehicle, it is roomy enough and tows like a champ. But the mileage and age are starting to catch up to me. If it dies I’m considering an Edge.

I’m normally a Chrysler guy growing up but saying Chrysler doesn’t really exist anymore I’m looking to branch out. Previously I owned an ‘06 Five Hundred which got
My kids to 12 and 14 from toddlers. I LOVED that car. Amazing room and a 24 cu ft trunk. I way preferred it to an SUV for trips. So comfortable and the keypad was awesome.

So that got me looking at Fords.The explorer would be a better version of my commander, but the prices on them are a bit nuts (‘16 with 100k miles for 22k is too much for me…)

I’m looking at the Edge now. Much more reasonable and really nice. But how does it tow? I have a 2000lbs pop up and a 19ft Four Winns with a dry weight of 2900lbs. Tow package on the Edge says it can do 3500 so with gear and people I’m guessing I would bust that. But the brakes, engine, and trans seem similar to the Explorer so I’m not sure why the towing weight difference. Does anyone have real world experience?

I’m looking mainly at 3.5 liter used edges with hitches. I have very little experience with Turbo 4’s for towing but my 80’s brain is nervous about it.
Thank you for any help!

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
1965 Ford Mustang, Houston, Texas
27 Posts
I've owned and towed with a 3.5 Edge and a 2.0 Edge. Never had a problem. I've even towed with an Escape with the 2.0. Trips with Edge and Escape was:

With the Edge I trailered my mustang over 600 miles one weekend. Here's picture of loaded trailer I used.

Only issue was gas mileage dropped way down, but I expected that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've owned and towed with a 3.5 Edge and a 2.0 Edge. Never had a problem. I've even towed with an Escape with the 2.0. Trips with Edge and Escape was:

View attachment 2665

With the Edge I trailered my mustang over 600 miles one weekend. Here's picture of loaded trailer I used.

View attachment 2666

Only issue was gas mileage dropped way down, but I expected that.
Thank you!! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Does your edge have a tranny cooler?

that’s a beautiful mustang. My first automotive live were the Shelby Mustangs

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
1965 Ford Mustang, Houston, Texas
27 Posts
No tranny cooler, 100% stock. I towed bike & trailer to North Carolina and back. Gas mileage dropped to low 20s. But was going 80 plus most of time. Furthest I've towed mustang was 300 miles one way. With towing mustang the braking distance was extended some, but not bad. Here's a thread with a little info on my mustang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No tranny cooler, 100% stock. I towed bike & trailer to North Carolina and back. Gas mileage dropped to low 20s. But was going 80 plus most of time. Furthest I've towed mustang was 300 miles one way. With towing mustang the braking distance was extended some, but not bad. Here's a thread with a little info on my mustang.

great story, great car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts