Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The newer vehicles have a sensor circuit which apparently monitors the continuity status of the break lamps (LED or condescend). If a lamp fails, the circuit detects the open and the computer turns on a dash lamp indicating a tail-light is out. My question is, does anyone know the minimum detection current level required before a failure is detected? The older condescend bulbs were approximately 6 ohms per filament, and operated around 2 Amps. However I can't imaging more than a few milliamps or current being required to confirm continuity. Would a 140 Ohm resistor across the open filament be enough to keep the dash indicator from coming on?

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
1965 Ford Mustang, Houston, Texas
173 Posts
Good question, unfortunately don't have an answer. I'm big into motorcycles and when changing brake and turn signals to LED is can cause the turn signal instrument indicator bulb to stay illuminated. The fix is to install a 10 Ohm 10 Watt resistor to each circuit. You might need to play with resistor rating to make it right. Notice this was your first post, a quick introduction would let us get to know you.

Keep us updated on your progress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts