Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a new escape 1.6 ecoboost loaded and was ready to buy until the middle of the test drive when I went to check out the 4wd...[?|]
Who in all their brilliance at ford came up with automatic 4wd? thats not automatic 4wd, its automatic awd. 4wd requires input to be locked in, plain and simple.
If I can't lock it in and leave it in until I no longer need it, its useless to me. For example while hunting or fishing.
This is why ford lost at least this sale on one. we don't buy 4wd vehicles to stay on pavement 95% of the time and gravel the other 5%.
Thanks ford for creating another soccer mom vehicle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
I feel the same way. Its getting harder to find anything that's not AWD.

Just buy a Bronco II and be done with it [:D]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel the same way. Its getting harder to find anything that's not AWD.

Just buy a Bronco II and be done with it [:D]
I'll just stick with my 97 tahoe I bought 4 years ago for 750 bucks. just getting a bit of cancer and not afraid to take it anywhere...lol
P.S. I bought a mustang, check out the 3.7 section
 

·
FF Founder
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
I agree with everyone, but you have to remember that the market niche Ford is aiming with the Escape are not hardcore off-roaders. Most of the buyers will opt for the FWD version to save on fuel and cost. Those who opt to buy the AWD will probably never take it off road and did so for the safety factors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
The 4WD/AWD system in the 2013 isn't for off roading. It's for the unpaved road to the cabin, the light snowfall and to give marginal driver's a false sense of confidence that they can drive faster than they should in bad weather.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
116 Posts
Motortrend just did there SUV of the year and gave a brief progression of the way the SUV has changed. 10 years ago every SUV they tested was on a truck chassis. 3 years ago, only a few were on truck chassis. This year? none were on truck chassis. they were all unibody, most based off car platforms. As it was indicated earlier, the way people use "SUV's" has completely changed. I bought AWD with my escape (yes, its advertised as AWD and not 4x4) because I wanted the extra boost getting up hills in the snow and my wifes parents farm and its nice to have getting around there....not because I wanted to go trailing or rock climbing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5 Posts
I purchased it as an AWD, you want 4wd buy something with a solid axle.
The Awd works great for its intended purpose, and works way better than the 2003 Escape I traded in.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top