Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

escape & 4x4

29K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ransil 
#1 ·
I test drove a new escape 1.6 ecoboost loaded and was ready to buy until the middle of the test drive when I went to check out the 4wd...[?|]
Who in all their brilliance at ford came up with automatic 4wd? thats not automatic 4wd, its automatic awd. 4wd requires input to be locked in, plain and simple.
If I can't lock it in and leave it in until I no longer need it, its useless to me. For example while hunting or fishing.
This is why ford lost at least this sale on one. we don't buy 4wd vehicles to stay on pavement 95% of the time and gravel the other 5%.
Thanks ford for creating another soccer mom vehicle.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Motortrend just did there SUV of the year and gave a brief progression of the way the SUV has changed. 10 years ago every SUV they tested was on a truck chassis. 3 years ago, only a few were on truck chassis. This year? none were on truck chassis. they were all unibody, most based off car platforms. As it was indicated earlier, the way people use "SUV's" has completely changed. I bought AWD with my escape (yes, its advertised as AWD and not 4x4) because I wanted the extra boost getting up hills in the snow and my wifes parents farm and its nice to have getting around there....not because I wanted to go trailing or rock climbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.