Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and son have started the count down, he's leaving four weeks from today. Not going very far, 6 1/2 hours drive north, far enough not to see on weekends. Actually ,my two oldest graduated, but the younger is going to a local community school. Its going to get interesting around here in the next couple weeks. This will probably be the wife-[bigcry]

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well congrats on the kiddo getting ready for the Next Step.

It's funny ... seeing one side of life where your mom is crying for you ... and seeing the other side where you cry for others who leave you. My sister in my case. I don't have any kiddos heading that route yet. But I can see my wife balling when that happens.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, spent all day today shopping for him to get him ready for the big move. The wife has had them both doing their own laundry for a couple weeks now.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's a good start ... when I went to college I wasn't taught the world of WasherNDryer ... so I had at the time either my roommates GF help me out or a chick that I was with at the time give me some help. I eventually learned when I got an apartment with a W/D in it.

For the best college essential ... did you get him a Five Star Binder? ? ? Seriously, that thing saved many o-papers from damage of outside liquids and such.

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I assume you have already bought his books ... those are insanely expensive ... then like a car coming off the lot, has a HUGE price drop when you try to return it for newer books for the next year.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No books purchased yet, the spending is to get him set up in his dorm. Did some price checking on the books, ouch! To think he'll use them a semester and probably never open them again.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I know ... the books are what keep alot of Colleges afloat ... or that's what it feels like.

when I went through college, I had some buddies that I shared books with. Splitting the cost of those things down.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all new to me, I never went to college. My eyes are being opened real fast to all he's going to need. My other son dosen't know what he wants to do so he's just taking core classes at a local community school.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Your other son is smart. Doing your core classes first at a credit college is the best thing to do. It saves you money and gets them the credits they for basics on any major.

My sisters are doing the same thing and I did that after a stupid first round in the University. ... then I became a bit more wiser and went back to community college. Finished my Pre-Requisites and went back to the University. I actually then ended up at a Technical School to aim towards more of what I do today for my career.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your other son is smart. Doing your core classes first at a credit college is the best thing to do. It saves you money and gets them the credits they for basics on any major.

My sisters are doing the same thing and I did that after a stupid first round in the University. ... then I became a bit more wiser and went back to community college. Finished my Pre-Requisites and went back to the University. I actually then ended up at a Technical School to aim towards more of what I do today for my career.

-Ray-
Oh he's smart, he just fails to apply himself, a bit of an underachiever. He did very well in volcational electronics, going to competitions each year, but fails to see a career in it for himself.[rolleyes]

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did that after a stupid first round in the University. ... then I became a bit more wiser and went back to community college. Finished my Pre-Requisites and went back to the University.
Hey, I did that too. I wish that I had just gone to community college from the start. That way, I might actually be done with school by now. Live and learn, I guess.

About the books; most college bookstores will buy the books back at the end of the semester, albeit at a price much lower than what you paid for them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
^^ No need to bet on that ... they ALWAYS buy back books between 25-35% of their original cost.

steve35svt - - > in due time he will catch on and get on the ball ... for now he is just enjoy College life ... and I know that happens alot. My sister is doing the same thing, a cousin of mine and I also did it as well. I jumped majors twice before finalizing.

But I now I want to go back and finish those degrees.

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Eh ... when it came to Finishing High School ... your mind is still in the World of High School and feels good to be out & done. I bet by next year they will both have jizzobs.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm guilty of the when I was your age thing. Working well before graduating and two jobs after on second and third shifts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts