Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the owners manual it says to change your oil every 10,000 miles or once a year...Does this sound rite? I mean if the manual says it, it must be right. Just not use to that I guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In the owners manual it says to change your oil every 10,000 miles or once a year...Does this sound rite? I mean if the manual says it, it must be right. Just not use to that I guess.
Yes. I have 5,000 miles on mine, still clean and upto the full mark!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I might do my first one a little sooner, but if it specs for 10k miles, sure.. With a good synthetic oil you will be fine, as long as its not being beat on hard or run in the mud offroad LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Our SES has a little over 5,000 miles on it now, and I'm looking at right around 7500 miles for the first change/tire rotation. Every 10,000 miles for oil changes seems a bit dicey to me, but if the engineers who designed this car are comfortable with it then I guess I can be too. Eventually.

Bob

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Yeah even with modern manufactoring techniques...There is still gonna be some dirt and assmly bits in a new motor..They don't shed like they used too, but why take chances. Oil is cheap...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think first one should be 1000 miles get all that small metal out just my 2 cents [thumb]

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^^ Yeah, I would still do my first one at 2-3 thousand...Oil is cheap..Just to be sure..then I would prolly go 7500+ on oil changes after that one

·
Registered
2 Posts
The manual says "Maximum" for oil change was 10K miles. That means do NOT let it go beyond this. Clearly you want to be below it. I'm shooting for every 3-5K miles. Just my 2 cents. Synthetic Oil too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So far I went with the idea of getting the first one very early on (as the engine is just breaking in). I got the first at 900 miles and my second at 4200. I'll probably keep it in the 3000-5000 mile range for changes regularly. For some reason 10k just sounds a bit too long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer suggested I come in for a change before 1000 miles. About to hit 500, so I figure another tank of fuel and then I'll head on in for the free oil change.

10k does sound too long for me too, I'm just going to make sure I'm doing them about every 4 months. That would put me at around 4k going by my current miles per month rate.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^^ I think 10k may be fine with a good synthetic AFTER the engine is broken in, first oil change is done :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the first one at 1500 miles at the dealer, they just had to put another filter on and clean up the engine undersides about 2 weeks later. The other morning after coming in from a road trip I noticed a small pool of fresh clean oil and they said it had dropped down about a half a quart because the filter had loosened up. I probably should have just done that first one myself. Check your service contract/extended warranty, if you bought one. Mine says the oil and filter has to be changed every 6K miles to comply with the extended warranty. Oh well, no harm, no foul, just a spot on the parking spot, kinda like having a Harley...[cool]

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^^ If you do it yourself, just use a Ford motorcraft filter... That way if there any warranty issues they can't complain about the filter quality :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
DIY and keep mileage and parts records. I had heard if they try to dictate either brands or parts requirements or work to be done ONLY by authorized dealer, that they then are obligated under Magnunsen-Moss Act to provide a free maintenance plan.

Probably one like BMW/Mini, change the oil every 20K miles, whether it needs it or not[?|]

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^ True, but having worked in dealerships...The one thing I can tell you...They are picky about the filters if there is a warranty issue. So the first few changes, just use the factory filter...that way if there is an issue with the motor..They have nothing to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Butler Ford recommended

Butler Ford recommended, and gave first oil & filter change at 1,000 mi.
Ashland Oregon. We were specifically told to bring it in at that time.- Not later than 1,500 miles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts