Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Trust me when I say there is no more detestable a sensation than being slowly overrun by cold tranny fluid.

This isn't my first rodeo. I have, in the past, pulled any number of transmissions, both automatic and manual, and no matter how many times I do the deed, I'm always astounded at the staggering preponderance of fluid a slusher can stash away in its unknown voids. I started the madness of converting this 1989 Ford Mustang from a four-speed automatic to a five-speed manual by dropping the pan on the old gearbox and letting the super-fried automatic transmission fluid bleed out into a drain pan.

Pulling the old box out of the car was as simple as keeping everything supported while I removed the driveshaft, unbolted the bellhousing from the engine block and sent the one crossmember that supported the transmission packing. But wrestling the contraption from under the car unleashed a small lake of brackish ATF that threatened to flash flood the basement. Trust me when I say there is no more detestable a sensation than being slowly overrun by cold tranny fluid. Please hold your "that's what she said" jokes until the conclusion of our program.

Project Ugly Horse: Part I
Project Ugly Horse: Part II
Continue reading Project Ugly Horse: Part III

Project Ugly Horse: Part III originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Text Source: Autoblog

1 - 1 of 1 Posts