Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased 2012 ford fiesta se hatch 5 speed (manual) 1 month ago, the car's performance, handling and comfort are better than expected but I have a really annoying "gear whine" in 5th gear, really dissapointing. The best way I can describe the "whine" is at 65-70 mph the "whine" is louder than the engine and tire noise. Does anybody else have this problem. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I have driven 2 friends 5 speeds and haven't noticed anything abnormally loud. I would drive that one back by the dealer and let them have a listen. If its nothing, just make sure they document it. In case you have an issue down the road. Maybe even have them check the tranny fluid level. Just to be safe.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To update my original post, I've talked to my selling dealer numerous times and a 2nd dealer in my area and they've talked to Ford, both dealers have been concerned and responsive and for the most part so has Ford. The agreed upon and I think best plan is to drive a couple more thousand miles to 5,000 and see as the gear "wears in" if the "whine" goes away or is minimized. If not, the best option seems to be to replace 5th gear and not the entire transmission. I'll update my post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Okay. Thanks for letting us know. Keep us up to date... Make sure at 5K they change the tranny fluid first...I would, and see if that fixxes it.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's a good idea, I definitely want to be conservative and take it one step at a time, I really like this car, that's why this noise is frustrating, thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ford got rid of their "whiner" for a while. See if it gets better? I doubt it. My Toyota Matrix 5 speed manual stated making a transmission noise and a couple months later and $3000, I had a newly rebuilt transmission. It failed completely with no other warning. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Could be a burr on a gear...but at least he has the issue documented. That way if something craps out it should be taken care of.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I have 7k miles now, the "whine" is probably a little less but still plenty annoying. I'm still undecided if I want to have 5th gear replaced, I'm going to take a two day driving trip in May and make a final decision after that. There still seems to me to be a downside to replacing 5th gear, a poster with the same problem on another forum said they had their 5th gear replaced and although happy with the work still have some "whine", particularly under accelleration, I'm not sure that's better.

My local dealers and Ford have been good to deal with and both are willing to replace 5th gear. The problem as told to me seems that for strength and lower cost Ford is using straight cut gears which are nosier than helical cut gears.

Waited a long time to buy a new car and a Ford, my 4cyl manual Jeep Liberty had almost 200k miles before I traded, so pretty dissapointing. I'm thinking of driving the Ford until the fall and trading, I'm going to look at the redesigned VW Golf when it comes out.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems dealers have a lot more automatics than manuals, I did drive another 5spd and it had a similar gear whine in 5th gear but at about 55mph rather than 65 and a little less loud. I've had a couple emails about my posts from owners with the same problem and searching on google there are also owners with the same problem, so I don't think it's an isolated problem.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
It may just be a straight cut gear for strength. They are stronger but make more noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts