Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91-94 explorers are equipped with a Dana 35 axle for 4wd or I beam for 2wd, both use a single piston caliper up front and both use a drum brake 31 spline 8.8 out back. 95-97 rangers use twin piston calipers on both the 2wd and 4wd trucks. You can take the spindle, rotor, caliper and brake pads from the ranger and install them on the explorer beams for a 100% bolt on swap. The rear axle is a 31 spline, 8.8 drum brake axle. The 95-01 explorer has the same axle, but were disc brake instead of drum brake. This swap can be done two ways. The easier way is to just swap the entire axle. But what if you can't find a rear axle that has the same gear ratio you have? You can take the rear axleshafts, calipers, brake pads, rear backing plates and E brake cables from the donor truck and install it onto your housing. It is the same bolt pattern, so this too is a 100% bolt on swap. If you swap from drum to disc on the rear, I also recommend swapping out the proportioning valve to get proper brake pressure to the rear brakes. Enjoy your new brake upgrade!

SVT

·
Registered
176 Posts
you have to use the axleshafts to for the 8.8 swap?? I've never seen anything about them being different. I'm using one drum shaft now with no issues..

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 99% sure the shafts can be reused/interchangeable between the 1st and 2nd gen explorer. They can't be interchanges with the ranger 8.8 axles...

SVT

·
Registered
176 Posts
the explorer's shafts will.. I'm using one of each in my 8.8 right now which is a drum housing with discs attached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts