Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
They can be a pain, the longer you wait, the worse they are. My advise is to partially fill the holes with WD40 or PB blaster, let em soak for 5 minutes, then slowly break em loose. The WD40/pb blaster is flammable, so it won't hurt the cylinders if they leak down in there...

SVT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man had not thought about doing that. I am just not looking forward to it. It one of those things that I have been wrenching for years and I hate working on my own stuff now...lol

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Btw, make sure to put antiseize on the new plugs...

SVT

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 5.4 has 231000 miles on it and its probably about due new plugs. I know I havent changed them since I had the truck. Except for 1 lol. It got changed a while back when I dropped a coil pack. Which by the way I'm still on 5 of my original coil packs. Dont know if thats something to brag about or if I need to change them asap. I figure just run them until they go out and soon I should have all new ones.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
My 5.4 has 231000 miles on it and its probably about due new plugs. I know I havent changed them since I had the truck. Except for 1 lol. It got changed a while back when I dropped a coil pack. Which by the way I'm still on 5 of my original coil packs. Dont know if thats something to brag about or if I need to change them asap. I figure just run them until they go out and soon I should have all new ones.
The breaking plugs issue was only on the 3v 5.4's from 04-early 08. from mid 08-on ford redesigned the heads and plugs therefor solving the issue.

BTW the 4.6 3v used in the mustangs and explorers had the same problem.

On a side note, tech's at the dealership have had good success with using an cordless 1/4" or 3/8" impact. Just blow out the plug well with air and use a socket and cordless impact and let er rip. For some reason the 1/4" or 3/8" impact has enough tq to get the plugs out before they seize and break but not enough tq to strip the threads in the head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts