Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I put it in the gear I hear the grinding sound. I noticed that I have to leave the clutch in for like 5 seconds before I can shift w/out grinding, is that normal?

When I shift into other gears I don't have that problem.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^ Hey thats one of the great uses for a place like this... The other sight for focus fanatics has a HUGE base of knowledge about that car. My hopes are that this one will become the same for the Fiesta..+1 for us! :)

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I did actually! When I know I'm going to have to throw it into reverse I push the clutch down 3-5 seconds before I change the gear, and I haven't had that grinding problem since!!

I heard holding the clutch down for a long time will burn it out, it that true? and how long would be considered a long time?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do like how friendly people on here are, and they are also willing to help if you have a question.

By the way......I absolutly LOVE my new fiesta!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I heard holding the clutch down for a long time will burn it out, it that true? and how long would be considered a long time?
I think the pilot bearing would get the brunt of the abuse when holding the clutch down. The clutch is disengaged when the pedal is down. Unless there was something funny going on with the clutch there should be no physical wear on the clutch at that time.

All the wear happens during engaging and disengaging it. Typically more so when engaging it. Hence they say "don't slip the clutch".

With that said my 02 wagon has 175K on it. I bought it at 149K and have been known to keep my foot on the clutch throughout the duration of a traffic light. I have no problems with the clutch. I do not know when or if the clutch was ever replaced. My 01 Focus I bought with 7 miles on it and now has 73K. I drive the same way and no problems on the original clutch. You should be fine.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!! That puts my mind at ease a little bit. I've been extra nervous because this is my first brand new car I've bought for myself and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts