Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
71 Posts
The range just isn’t there for me yet Les. It would likely be ideal as I have a 5 minute commute to work but I do make an 8 hour drive to northern Quebec to the fishing camp and there is no power there to recharge. I don’t think I could get up there in one day or be charged for the way back. I am an old gear head and haven’t got my head around it yet.

That said, Ford’s Eco Boost did change my mind about needing to a V8 - perhaps they will convince me electric is good too.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
1965 Ford Mustang, Houston, Texas
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you on the range. The other thing, most of the batteries are good for 5 years, then it's thousands for replacement. Often with a hybrid cars that have a few years on them the battery is almost as much as the car is worth. Until the battery price is more friendly I'm not sure I'll ever have one?

·
Super Moderator
71 Posts
The issue is energy density. Gasoline has a higher energy density that our best battery technology. We can’t carry the same amount of energy as we can with an internal combustion drive train. Another is the time to top up. I can top off the truck in 10 minutes. If recharging batteries is gonna take more than a half hour lunch stop it isn’t gonna be useable for any type of travel. My trip to Quebec would be three stops on a three hour run time. I think it will eventually go but it won’t be on this technology.

·
Super Moderator
90 Posts
I bought a subcompact 7 years ago then my work situation changed so the car only has 25k miles on it - I guess I'll be driving that for the next 25 years - otherwise I would get an EV when they make a lightweight, low performance 2 seater with interchangeable battery packs. I think they need to have a swap program like they do with propane tanks - but with EV batteries. Fully charged and easy to swap out and in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts