• Maybe, explain your thoughts.

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
1965 Ford Mustang, Houston, Texas
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is new technicalities really better on a vehicle? Some of these examples might not be all that new, but are they really better?

Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive?
Yes, it’s weight saving. Yes, cheaper to produce. But in most cases harder to work on.

Fuel injection vs carbs?
Yes you can better mileage, emissions and possibly a tad more power with injection, but never had a carbed vehicle leave me on side of road that I couldn’t fix.

Electronic ignition vs points?
Never had a vehicle with points make me walk home, nothing a match book couldn’t get you back on road.

What’s your thoughts? Any other systems you can think of that were “improved” which don’t always work better

·
Super Moderator
90 Posts
Yes and no. Today's vehicles are safer, more comfortable, and more efficient. I wonder what the classic car culture will look like 20 years from now. Like you said, all that computerization, the average guy can't work on his own vehicle any longer.

·
Super Moderator
71 Posts
I think it depends on the owner.

For me give me a 100% mechanical machine - carbs, manual transmission, heavy castings, and as bullet proof as you can manufacture. No sensors to fail, no high octane fuels. I’ll accept the lower efficiency in exchange for reliability and repairability.

For my wife for instance, fuel injected, automatic, and loaded with safety features and ease of use. Minimize the maintenance frequency and limit the skill required to operate it.

Depends on the owner and what their needs are. Unfortunately the latter is now the only choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts