Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another project that I'm working on, its my buddy's 94 ranger, its been sas'd with a fw 44 and 9". He recently swapped cabs to an 01 and wanted to do a V8 swap. So he called up the V8 swap expert (me) and wanted the mad scientist to perform the swap, since he was lost on the wiring part of it. After seeing my work in person, he knew I was the one for the job. He also is changing the interior color from tan to dark grey. The 01 cab was wrecked in the front, so it also needed a new core support. After weeks of searching, I finally found a good core support, and as it turns out its the same year as the cab, even has the same motor and trans (3.0/auto)...

Here it is out and on the dolly...

So that was pulled Friday. Today I decided to get the dash swapped, as it shouldn't take too long. Little did I know Josh decided I didn't have enough to do and made it even harder on me by taking every nut and bolt out of the dash frame except the four or five on the backside. Since it only has 7 bolts holding the dash to the firewall, I started pulling the dash...

Since I had to pull all the bolts out of the old dash, as Josh didn't save the bolts from the grey dash he pulled, I left the frame and wire harness in the truck...

Finished pulling the grey dash pad from the frame...

Then after a few more hours of installing all the bolts back into the dash frame, the dash was swapped...

For those with good eyes, you will notice the instrument cluster is not installed. The cluster trim panel, knee panel, and radio bezel are just sitting there as I still need to swap the wires over for the tach. I stopped here for the day, as I'll be back on it Tuesday and swap the wires and install the cluster. Monday is grass cutting day.
As much extra work Josh cost me, I think the price of his winch will be enough restitution [twothumbs]

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay in updates, I've been stupid busy. So, here is the flange on the Tcase adapter that's bolted to the trans...

Here is the Tcase that's gonna get used temporarily. See the problem yet?

How about now?

So, the adapter needs to be trimmed...

Here is the fitment after its trimmed...

Here is another shot...

At this point I pulled the trans pan as someone drilled a 1/4" drain hole in the bottom of the pan, but used a rubber grommet as a plug. While the pan is off, I'm changing the filter. 149k miles and the trans was never serviced. It still had the factory fill neck stopper in the pan. This is both good and bad, good in that I know how many times the trans was serviced and know how hard the trans' life was. Bad in that it was never changed. The fluid was a little dark, but no burnt smell at all, giving me the info that it was not ran hard. It's gonna cost a little more now, but draining all the fluid out of the trans and torque convertor will assure a longer lasting tranny with good clean fluid. All cooling lines will be flushed prior to final install. Getting the filter tomorrow, gotta talk it over with josh about installing a trans external filter for better, easier maintenance...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rain all day sucks, no wrench time. Need to clear the shop out. Anyways, small update, got the trans filter on and pan repaired. Here is the hole in the pan, you might have noticed it in earlier pics...

Inside the pan, you can see the factory filler neck plug, indicating the pan has never been off. You can also see the fluid is a little dark, but otherwise pretty clean...

Here is the pan repaired and ready for service. New filter was installed, pan was wiped clean, as well as the magnet...

Next up will be the final install of the motor, trans, and Tcase. Hopefully that will get done this weekend, but I don't know what my weekend looks like yet...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, to some I'm known as the mad scientist. I should have the motor and trans going in this thursday or Friday. Depends on what happens early this week...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I remember you saying that on trs when I did SVT. I went back to see which one it was, lol

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updates...
I'll start with the parts list...
Motor mount plates made from 3/8" plate, driver side lifted up 1.25"....

Radiator from V8 explorer, fan shroud, and AC condensor...

AC line from evaporator to condensor...

Complete motor...

Spare wiring harness with ECU and MAF...

On with today's progress.

When I got the motor, I had found one that was already pulled, and it shows...

If you haven't noticed, they cut the harness right by the plug for the ECU and the 42 pin plug, what idiots...

This is why I needed the spare harness. So once I had that changed out, I started by bolting the tranny to the motor..

Once that was done, I started bolting the 205 tcase to the tranny, using RTV sealant between the tranny and the tcase...

The bolts for the tcase are standard bolts with no shoulder, so I needed to install a washer so the aluminum tranny case would not get damaged. Some of you know, some of you don't. But to get a washer to fit tightly to a bolt, you can use a smaller size washer. The bolt size is 3/8, the washer is 5/16...

Here is the combo assembled ready for install....

Even the stock VSS fits with plenty of slack in the harness when installed in the 205....

For those with a clever eye, you noticed one of the shift rail poppets missing. I bought the tcase like this from the boneyard, so if anyone has a spare poppet, spring and detent ball, PM me. This is what they look like...

I borrowed one from my other 205 for the time being. Here it is installed..

Here it is going into the engine bay...

It's a tight fit with the shock hoops where they're at...

It's getting real tight, had to pull both motor mounts off the frame, as well as remove the AC compressor to make room to squeeze it in (insert "thats what she said" jokes)...

And here is where my luck went south. When I did SVT's swap, I tried using the stock explorer oil pan. It wouldn't fit, but I also had the motor at least 3" forward from the firewall. I was hoping with me positioning the motor as close to the firewall as possible, that the stock pan would fit, it won't...

A look underneath showing where the oil pan sits in relation to the crossmember...

That's where I stopped today. Got to run to both the parts store and the boneyard to pick up more parts, which consist of oil pan and pickup tube, tranny cooling lines, oil and filters, oil pan bolts, pan gasket, fuel lines, and a couple other odds and ends for this project. I'm hoping to be done this weekend. Stay tuned...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's updates...
So after running to town for more parts from the boneyard and two parts stores, I made it back to the house for a few more hours of wrenching. First, I had to drop the oil pan and swap it to a foxbody dual sump style. While I had the pan off, I inspected any play in the rods and checked the timing chain for wear/stretching...

Here is the new pan installed with new hardware and a new rubber pan gasket...

Here is the motor in its new home, sitting on the mounts. You can also see the new rubber pan gasket...

Engine to firewall clearance...

Oil pan to crossmember clearance, this one fits much better than the stock explorer...

A couple of issues came up, the engine cage, which is also the coilover mounts, are wanting to occupy the same space as the AC compressor and the alternator. When the cage was built, it was built around a 4.0. Talked to Josh, it will be temporarily moved until he decides to build a new one...

The alternator side...

I also need to extend the 42 pin plug as its about 10" too short. It'll take about 6 hours just to do that...

The ECU, heater hoses, and vacuum lines for HVAC are all hooked up...

Tomorrow's plans are to get the front core support trimmed and mounted in place so I can start on the wiring...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, its the 4R70W, I like this trans better than any of the previous automatics...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's updates...
After talking with Josh, he decided a new engine cage will be fabricated when he gets the truck back, so I relocated the tubes just enough to fit the alternator and the AC compressor, then rewelded the tubes til they can be replaced...

A little hard to see, but this one is showing all accessories mounted and the belt is installed. I wonder where the winch went? Oh wait, I know! LOL...

Next up is plumbing the power steering, I was able to reuse the stock 94 4.0L pressure line, I took and basically straightened out all the bends at the gearbox end to make it reach. The return line already had a section of rubber line added to it, so I just trimmed it to fit....

Onto fitting the core support. I wanted to make the core support removable for the next engine swap, or any maintenance or any other reason. It's not entirely how I wanted to do it, but it will be strong enough. If Josh doesn't like it, there is enough material left so that it can be welded for a factory replacement type repair. Basically, the top and sides are butted against the firewall side, and the lower side and bottom are overlapped. The sides have a reinforcement panel that runs past the firewall to the doorjam. These reinforcement panels were left intact, and the inner finderwells were the panels that were cut and matched up...

Here is a front shot...

If you noticed on the driver side, not all the holes in the support panel and inner fender panel line up. This is cause the core support is not bolted down to the core support frame mounts. They don't line up, and they are shaped differently. I can either cut and move the frame mounts outwards about an inch each side to line up with the core support and use a set of 94 core support mounts, which need to be replaced, one is missing and the other is froze, or I can go back to the boneyard, get a pair of 01+ frame mounts and get the rubbers while I'm there...

Next up is test fitting the radiator and AC condensor. I'm using the explorer 5.0 rad and condensor, and with the rad and condensor bolted in place, using the stock clutch fan, there is about an inch between the rad and the fan blades. This gives me a little room to move the motor forward about a half inch. The motor is sitting a little high, and the fan shroud will either need to be modified or lift tabs made to attach it to the rad. The motor can only be lowered about 3/4" before the passenger exhaust manifold flange contacts the frame...

The rad is tall, even with the custom bumper it still hangs down low, got to talk to Josh, might be swapping this out for a 4.0L rad...

The rad inlet is close to the engine cage, so in its present location connecting the upper hose is not happening. You can also see the AC line from the condensor to the evaporator is connected...

The AC line from the compressor to the condensor, yep, it will have a functioning AC...

The battery box and driver side engine cage. Looks like the battery will fit in the stock location. Even though the engine cage will need to be relocated, there is plenty of room...

The stock air inlet tube in place, the lower is not installed, but the mounts are there and there is plenty of room...

With the air filter cover in place, you can see there is plenty of room for the engine cage to be relocated. The driver side has more room than the passenger side, pictured here...

Here is a side shot of how high the motor sits in the frame...

But with the hood on...

The IAC valve, which sits on top of the throttle body, and the highest part on the motor, still clears the hood by about an inch...

The hood hinges I think were bent and needed to be replaced, the ones Josh sent don't line up, or they are both from one side. One more thing I need to discuss with Josh...

Not pictured, but I also have the wiring harness routed in place and everything is hooked up at the firewall at the AC blower, AC low and high pressure switch, cruise control module, and throttle cable at the throttle body. The horns are not hooked up since there is no horns there, but the plug is there, I don't have the headlights, corner lights or marker lights, but all the wiring is in place. I will be reusing the 3.0 alternator harness as it is the correct length to reach both the alternator and the AC compressor clutch. Since this will reach, I don't have to worry about repinning the oval 12 pin plug that contains the starter circuit, AC high pressure switch and AC clutch. I will have to redo the starter wire as its on the driver side on the 3.0, the passenger side on the 5.0. This is where I stopped for today, since its after 9pm...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Won't get much done today. Progress delayed on the count of rain. I did manage to get the oil filter housing mounted, and got wet in the process. It's mounted directly under the winch, easy access and great protection...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So with D waiting for parts, out the shop it went. As some of you know, the blue jeep I put the 5.0 in is back at my shop for low oil pressure. After hydrolocking it, pulling the plugs, turning it over several times to get the water out, the plugs were installed and it ran, so they drove it the rest of the day. As the day went on, it developed a lifter tick at idle. What happened was when it hydrolocked it sucked in so much water that it put a side load on the crank, damaging the rods and main bearings. Here's a shot of the rods and main bearings on the top two rows. Thats not engine oil on the bearings, thats the copper lining notifying you that the bearings are worn. The bottom row are new bearings for comparison...

Here the main bearings are installed...

Here the rod bearings are installed in the rods along with the main bearings in the block...

I got the rods and main caps on and torqued, and the high pressure oil pump and screen installed, but no pics. I'm waiting on a new set of cam bearings, front and rear main seals, timing cover seals, etc. I ordered just the rods and main bearings, but during teardown I decided to change the cam bearings as well to give it a complete set of fresh bearings. The cylinders do not look scared from the bottom, and there is barely a noticeable ring mark at the bottom travel of the piston. For those that haven't seen the blue jeep I built, or need a refresher, here is what the motor looked like when I was done...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I tried to cheat at first, knowing the bearings were worn, but not knowing how worn, by installing a high pressure pump. Oil pressure was a little better, but still had a slight lifter tick now and then. So I pulled the motor for new bearings...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I agree, Shane. The driver side is a passenger, since they both face the same direction. I'll need to put that on the list when I get the Taurus E fan. Think I might just swap SVT's stock rad for the ex 5.0 rad. I have a body lift SVT, so I can lift it 3" for better clearance. Either way, I'll need to figure out the condensor. Guess I'll keep my eyes out at the boneyard when I go friday....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A ranger condenser will work, just need to see if a certain year has the bolt on hose fittings like the ex condenser does or if I will have to swap hoses to the push-lock fittings the ranger uses (same style fittings the fuel line disconnects use)

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the jeep is back together and took it out yesterday to break the motor in and fully test it on the trails. Only pic I have, but I got Brandi pretty good!

Overall it is better, though the crank does have some damage. Oil pressure is still slightly low, but no lifter tick. On to the ranger, picking up more parts this weekend, need to track down a radiator and a couple more parts...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Parts update...
Hit the junkyard in Evansville today. Scored the fuel lines, two E fans, 3 Volvo relays and a back glass to replace the one Josh broke (long story short, he busted the 01 glass and stole the 94 back glass from the old yellow cab I got from him a while back). That yard didn't have the correct radiator, so I'm thinking of hitting another yard in Evansville Monday...

SVT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts