Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll keep an eye out brother...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Updates:
I pinched a nerve in my shoulder blade, so I'll be limited to how much I can do per day. More bad news, I seem to have reached my bandwidth limit, so pics won't be able to be seen for another 6 days from today...
Progress on D was slow, but I did manage to get the rad and condenser removed, still need to remove the mechanical fan...

I also got the body wiring in place and the hood latch cable routed and hooked up...

After I got this done, I started hurting too bad to continue. Tomorrow I hope to get the replacement rad and condenser installed, along with the electric fan...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Updates...
I got the mechanical fan off...

Got the 95-97 ranger 4.0 rad in, and the problems started...

As you can see, the rad is smaller than the mounts, top and bottom. The rad is only about 2" shorter than the ex 5.0 rad...

So, there wasn't much of a choice, ended up going back to the ex rad and condenser. Another issue I ran into, the E fan I got was from a 95 T-bird, which fit the rad almost perfect, but at 5.5", its a little deep. I have right at 3.5" from rad to water pump snout. I know the Taurus fans are in the 4" range, and can probably be trimmed an inch, giving me what I need, around 3". I also don't like the way the engine sits in the engine bay. Motor looks high, and really could be moved to the driver side about an inch. I might try and lower the motor. Moving it to the driver side would require moving the engine cage, again. It's only got about a 1/16" clearance from the AC compressor pulley to the tube. I'm not worried about that as its getting cut out anyways to get repositioned. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point, but I'm bound to do something before it goes back home...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Today's progress...
I got the 01 fuel lines and tank out of the framerail...

Here are the 90's fuel lines going in its place...

The 01 harness uses a different plug for the fuel pump assembly than the earlier rangers did, so I had to cut and splice the 01 plug to the 90's assembly...

I also had to change the filler necks, as the 01 uses a different style vent...

The 01 tank, notice the size of the filler neck, and the fuel line connections...

Here is the 90's tank...

Naturally, Josh made more work for me by swapping out the 94 fuel tank crossmember for the 01 crossmember. He swapped it out so he could use the 01 fuel tank, which is different from the 94. The tank I got is from a 97, and the tank straps don't fit around the tank, and the tank don't fit the crossmember. Thinking I would have to cut out the crossmember and weld in an older 90's style, I talked to Josh and he wanted to go with a B2 tank, but after talking it over he decided to go with a fuel cell. So looks like I get to extend the fuel pump assembly harness to the bed, and extend the fuel lines as well. The 90's fuel lines are in, and this is where I discovered this...

Looks like when whoever removed the motor tried to cut the fuel lines. So I now need to head out to the boneyard for a set of fuel lines. I also started on the electrical while I was soldering wires together. The alternator plug was pulled off by someone pulling on the wires rather than the plug. The yellow/white wire came out of the connector with the terminal still in tact. The reg/green wire was pulled in two. So I was able to just repin the yellow/white, and I soldered the red/green...

Tomorrow weather permitting I plan to start working on connector C115, the 42 pin plug that connects the engine to the cab. Planning a trip to the boneyard monday...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It'll be viewable on the 2nd...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Updates!
It's Crunch time. D is getting picked up Sunday... Today's morning was spent going to the boneyard again for tranny lines, fuel rail flex lines, and a 42 pin plug with about 12" of wire for the extension. Got back around noon and got to work. I did some research and thinking and came up with a way to use the stock 01 fuel tank, which means less fabwork. So I reattached the wiring harness...

I also got the tranny lines in. This was a pain as I had to bend used line and flare them. I made a disconnect near the starter so in the event the trans needed removal it would be easier to get to the lines. If I had to do it again, I'd get new lines from AutoZone rather than straightening and rebending used line, but the budget is being stretched...

After that, I started on extending the 42 pin plug. Here is the section I got from the boneyard, I had cut it about 6" too long, so I trimmed to fit. Here is the trimmed plug...

And here starts the long process of extending the harness. There are a few wires that are not just "plug-n-play", so the necessary rewiring will take place during the extension process. In case you missed the first two extensions I've done, here is how its started...

I have about 6 or so connections made, at which point it started getting dark, so I called it a day...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Todays updates...
I mounted the fuel tank on the frame, that was fun. Then I continued on the wiring. I'm about half way through...

And after a few hours, I'm finally on the last wire...

Then I fixed the starter harness. The 01 harness was for a 3.0, which has the starter on the driver side. The v8 has the starter on the passenger side, so it has to be lengthened. Got that done, then I swapped out the fuel rail flex lines, ended up having to pull the upper plenum, which was also fun. What's left? Need to fab a new set of motor mounts, need to modify the tranny cooler mount then mount it to the core support, need to install the oil filter adapter hoses, the ones in the kit are a little short, so I'm going to swap em with the ones on my Trac, need to get and install lower rad hose, and lastly I need to fab a trans crossmember...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Updates...
Nearly 2am, and I've been going strong all day long on the house til about 9pm, took a short hour break and got to work on D. Didn't get much done, I was dragging so much a$$ I was at the point of not functioning. I did get the oil filter adapter hoses swapped with my Trac and installed on D. I had to swap hoses with my Trac cause the hoses were longer. The hoses that came with the kit for D are actually the size I needed for my Trac. I bought a different kit for my Trac which came with longer hoses. I left them long when I installed my kit on the Trac, just in case I wanted to change things or needed the longer length later down the road. Good thing I did, cause I rid need them, otherwise the truck would be down cause of it.Still have some fab work to do, von.a get up early and try to do it then...

Started again at 7am this morning, josh said he'd be here by 10. Around 8am he come rolling in the driveway. He was pushed for time, so I didn't get everything done. There is still an issue with the fuel system, and since it'll be a while before its ready, I'll make a trip up his way in a couple weeks to finish it...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No, Shane, I didn't get a chance to. I went back and got a Taurus fan, but it too was too deep. It sits at about 4.5", and there is 3.5" of room. Two possibilities are run the mechanical with two 10" pushers in front, or fab a shroud for the E fan to mount to. The second option will likely be the one we go with, as we can also offset it to the side for more clearance...

SVT

21 - 31 of 31 Posts