Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the 3M headlight "restoration" kit since my headlights are showing some discoloration [B)] [V].
Needed to spend a little more to get free two-day shipping so I picked up puddle lamp and licence plate LEDs. Got all four for like $16.

Crappy thing is, I leave to go out of town for almost a week Wednesday morning. So the whole time I am gone I'll be thinking about my package sitting, waiting for me. [:)]

Turn signals are next but I can't decide if I want "switchbacks" for the front signals or not.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Its sad how quickly new headlight lens get fogged...The kit works well though, just some elbow grease :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its sad how quickly new headlight lens get fogged...The kit works well though, just some elbow grease :)
The kit actually worked GREAT. I did burn my lenses in a few spots from the drill catching... oops. Still, they look better than they did!!

Here is before...

And after...

Can't figure out how to get a good pic of the puddle lamp LEDs but they look good. License plate not so much though. They were supposed to be white but they are definitely a little blue! They aren't quite as blue in person, but still blue. Gotta order new ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have this starting to creep on my passenger light. it's only about 1/4 inch away from the edge but is slowly moving down. what all did you use (be specific)...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i have this starting to creep on my passenger light. it's only about 1/4 inch away from the edge but is slowly moving down. what all did you use (be specific)...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344880505&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+headlight+restoration+kit"]I used 3M's "Headlight Restoration Kit".[/ame]

The kit I purchased came with everything needed except masking tape, a micro fiber cloth and hand drill (obviously).
They supply all the sanding pads and drill attachment. You start with 500 grit then move to 800 then to wet sand then polish. Pretty easy, though as I said you can burn your lenses if not careful enough.

It took me about 15-20 minutes per lens. It didn't get them "like new" but darn close. Definitely worth the $15. It's $30 locally and it's worth that, to me.

The kit says to use this every three months to protect lenses from UV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did u get the LEDs from. I like how they look
Through Amazon (free shipping over $25). Going to be ordering a bunch more come this weekend. I want to redo all my interior lights now.

(these were supposed to be white but came as the blue you see in the pic.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts