Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked the spare tire air pressure on my '12 Escape. Is there a video, or a decent instruction on how to lower the tire? I noticed there are some bolts that are rusted so I will spray those down to loosen them. Thanks!

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just checked it. The rear seats look like they are 60/40. There are 2 bolts. There is a longer bolt in front of a shorter bolt. Looking at the spare there is a bolt in the center with a spring. That spring is heavily rusted. I have a feeling I am going to have to use a really good spray to loosen it. Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to get off my behind and mess with the spare. Seems I made a mountain out of a molehill. It is similar to what I had a '90 and '94 Dodge Grand Caravan, only more up-to-date. The spring and bolt were not really that bad. I went ahead and sprayed some PB Buster. I did that last night. When I got the tire by itself I took a metal brush and cleaned all what was left behind. I sprayed the cable with a chain and cable spray. Sprayed the bolt and lug nut and wiped it. Lined everything and put it back together. For being a 3 year old vehicle there wasn't much dirt and mud back there. If I go on a trip, and there is quite a bit stored in the back I will take the jack before I leave. Thanks for the tip on the spring and bolt!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just lowered mine down and what they call the tether was not hooked or bolted to the rim. I take it yours is. I might bolt it through though none of my other cars had the extra connection

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I discovered when I did this a couple of weeks ago that I got the smaller spare. There may be enough room to place a full-size spare. I read somewhere there isn't.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have 16 inch rims.There are optional 17 inch there the chrome ones you'll see on mostly Limited models. My rear brakes are drum.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to replace my 16" spare with a full size, but I don't know if I can get steel rims for the full-size spare.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Might be able to get a tire and rim from a Crown Vic. same lug pattern 5 x4 1/2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts