1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
671 Posts
That sucks! If VW can get a diesel here, why can't Ford???

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sucks but that's the way things are. Our fuel market here is backwards from that of Europe's. In Europe diesel is cheaper then gasoline so it makes sense. However, here in the states that isn't the case. In many cases it's still not economical to purchase the diesel model over the traditional gasoline model in the US.

Take the VW Jetta for example. The gasoline version has a combined fuel economy of 25.5 MPG and stickers at $17,515. However, the TDI version gets an average of 35.5 MPG but, stickers at $22,270. Thats $4,755 more then a gasoline version. Add to that the fact that diesel is generally more expensive than gasoline it just isn't worth it IMHO. I don't think we're missing anything.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Diesel is $0.20 a gallon less than 87 octane around here.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diesel is about the same as 87 for me in my area as well.

-Ray-

·
Registered
248 Posts
In this part of the country, as the price of gas edges back up, diesel is too, but not at the same pace.
Last time I looked, diesel was actually a few pennies less per gallon than regular.

And a very big BOO for not bringing us a diesel. [mad]

·
Registered
27 Posts
So let me ask, who here would pay $21,000 or more for a sub compact car? Seriously, no keyboard commandos... honest to God truth, who here could A.) Afford it, and B.) Would 100% for sure be willing to spend $21,000 for the car?

Then keep in mind that online forums are not even close to a good representation of the American market (we tend to be more into our cars, willing to spend more, value them more, etc).

...and then you have your answer why not.

As it is getting people to pay the $16,000-18,000 for a premium small car is hard enough in America, then factor the cost of a diesel and you couldn't turn a profit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...mind you, $21,000 is probably too low, it would realistically be more around $22,00-23,000 I would bet, but still, even at $21,000 I doubt they would move even close to enough to pay for the second plant etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
i want to see a diesel fiesta or focus in the ford lineup, a car that gets 60mpgs all the time is what an american company needs to do!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well ... I bought my SVT Fofo brand spanking new in the end of 03 with 2 miles on the clock for 22K. ....

But as for the fiesta ... I am looking to spend between 17-18K for it.

I spent 23K on my Edge as well ... so I am good on spending between 17 - 30 K for a car.

As long as it is worth it.

And the fiesta with today's gas issues with the economy seems to fit the bill of a car Worth it's value in the long run.

-Ray-

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a huge fan of diesels, enjoy the way the make their power and run on the road, so more than anything I wish Ford had a diesel offering in the Fiesta or Focus. Unfortunately, as much as I hope it changes in the future, I understand the logic of not expanding the diesel passenger car market to become anywhere near a significant proportion as it would lead to a rise in diesel prices which would in turn raise prices on just about every item in every store. VW, MB, and BMW have their diesels, but they combine to account for less than 3% of the market while domestic pickups with diesels often are used in the process of getting goods to market. Diesel seems to be the US's commercial fuel and domestic manufacturers nor the government are looking to change that. Possibly should algae-based biodiesel or another biodiesel ever become more viable in terms of supply this could allow for a policy shift to increase passenger diesel availability.

I think the best business decision for Ford in the US, if they wanted to explore a diesel car, would be in the upcoming Focus line that is likely to generate the Focus, an Escape/Kuga, and possibly a C-Max type MPV. That would be in addition to the loosely Focus-based Transit Connect. Only with the ability to install the same engine in multiple models would the EPA certification and expense be potentially recoverable. Use in the Escape/Kuga would likely dent the demand for the hybrid version which would be a contraindication, and Ford has already announced an electric Focus and Transit Connect, so I'm not seeing a diesel Ford car in the near to mid-term. That leaves Ford's 4.4L V8 diesel that is on indefinite hold for the F-150 and the larger Super Duty diesel as the only diesels on the horizon in my opinion.

Which brings me to my justification for going on and on about the broader diesel picture in a Fiesta discussion. I will be in the market for a new vehicle in 2011 provided a product exists that sufficiently interests me. I am hopeful the Fiesta will be just the car and I would be willing to pay $2-3k extra for a diesel engine. At the same time, if the 4.4L V8 diesel is available in an F-150 and it returns respectable fuel mileage I'd be interested in going for a relatively basic truck in the $25k range. Personally, I would have preferred a 6-cyl diesel making 30mpg feasible on the highway, so I'm thinking the V8 may not be my cup of tea even if it is offered.

The take rate for a diesel Fiesta would not be high, probably 15% tops given the premium it would require, but I would certainly be in that group.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I realize that we are different here in Austin, Tx. However, ALL of the city's fleet trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, etcetera run on BIODIESEL. Almost all commercial trucks use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and are required to do so federally on all vehicles built after 2007 for emissions reasons. Technology has greatly improved and efficient torque production is why it is the fuel/engine of choice for hauling freight or towing.

Having said that, I myself am not in the market for a diesel. I want a small gas engine (preferably turbocharged) for performance, one that can easily rev and responds well to mods. For me, I am more interested in a car that is small and light weight- fun to drive. A car that is quick, nimble, tossable, corners well, balanced. Gas mileage is a benefit, not solely what I buy a car for (otherwise I'd get a hybrid Fusion).

·
Registered
827 Posts
My farther let me drive his 08 Chevy diesel pickup recently, have to admit, it could almost pass for gas powered. Didn't sound like diesel and ran clean, inside of tail pipe still clean. But still don't trust the price per gallon. Sure, now about the same or cheaper than 87 oct, but remember last summer!

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I worked at a ford dealership some time ago, the store was more focused on HD truck sales than anything else. They openly said that the fuel economy savings of the diesel would take 5-7 years to offset the cost of upgrading to diesel in trucks, and since many truck buyers didn't keep their truck longer than 5 years, they ended up losing in the long run. They sold the diesels on the point of power and reliabilty over pricing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts