Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my sister totalled her car today, luckily everyone was not injured. She was ar a red light, but the power was out, so it was treated like a 4 way stop. She slowed down (right lane, 2 lanes each of 4 directions) but the vehicle to her left had proceded, so she followed. A truck from her left, who stated he had stopped, had went between her and the vehicle to her left. She caught the truck in the passenger door, spinning her car 90*. She called me right after it happened to come get her. So I hooked up to my trailer and headed that way...

It bent the frame from the control arms forward. She got a ticket for careless operation only cause the other driver said he had stopped, which if you seen the accident site he couldn't have, and my sister said she slowed down, but didn't stop. The investigating officer also said she was at fault. Go figure[dontknow]

SVT

·
Registered
177 Posts
Damn that sucks glad she's ok. Although I'm not a fan of the cavalier or GM for that matter they are safe cars. My wife totaled her '95 when she swerved to miss a deer and hit a bridge wall, she walked away with a air bag burn on her chin.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I'm guessing you intended to say "no one was injured" instead of "luckily everyone was injured"

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, and yeah, auto correct changed the wording. The only reason why she got that car (the whole family hates chevies) was she got college money and needed a car, her cousin had the car from a marriage and got sent to.Alaska and couldn't take it, so she sold it her for half of the value at the time, which was payoff. She don't like it either, but its all she could afford. Now I have the task of fixing the POS. Dustin, if I have time I'm gonna hit Glissons to see if they gave the parts. The front wheels are still in line (how I don't know), which means only the front clip was affected, not the front suspension. I need both fenders, hood, header panel with lights, core support, and frame rails from the strut towers forward. The engine turns over, so it may be salvageable. Dustin, I'm coming up there Saturday night/sunday morning, but we will be at skipper's. Might hit Glissons Monday...

SVT

·
Registered
177 Posts
You gotta be careful to make sure the whole chassis isn't twised those flex really well if you have ever jacked the car up to change a tire. The door won't even open or close properly. They have very flemsy chassis.

When my wife wrecked hers she hit the passengerside. The drivers door was completly closed but the top of it was open by three inches. The chassis was twisted that bad.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip, once I cut the front clip off I'm taking measurements to see just how far out of square it will be, then make a decision on whether it will be worth it to fix, but since she was said to be at fault, insurance isn't paying to fix or total the car, and can't afford another one (3rd year college in nursing)...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Thats bs. Shouldnt matter if you were at fault or not. Thats why you have insurance. Sounds like she needs a new insurance company too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
^^ It's all about what policies you get from your insurance provider. I don't have collision on my car (I figure my car just isn't worth that much, and if it's my fault for crashing it, I should pay for it) so if I'm at fault in a crash, I get nothing but whats left of my car.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, the car was paid for, and being a college student, she only had liability...

SVT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts