Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok some of you may know me from FF some prolly dont, I had a 94 Ranger years ago loved it til it broke down and I couldnt afford to fix it. So now after owning 2 Focus', Im getting rid of one that I still owe on and would like to get a Ranger as my DD/work truck, Ive been looking for about a week now and cant seem to find one that either doesnt have something wrong with it or has a ton wrong with it in the price range Id like to stay in. So I had a thought tonight while looking through Craigslist about buying 2 Rangers that need some work fairly cheaply and do the work myself. Since owning my Focus' I have been doing a lot of the work on them myself, Im no certified mechanic but I do alright as long as its something simple or I can read up on it enough, Im a Service Manager by trade.
Here are the 2 I was thinking about, and please give me your honest opinions, the one Im sure as long as its just the tranny seal I should have no problem with, the other one I thought maybe either fix it I can if not get another motor to drop in it, could use it as my next project once my ZX3 project is done :) Thank you

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3416216840.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/3416457779.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
One has no title. lol I agree with getting the 4.0l from the start.

As a rule I avoid sellers that can't form a complete sentence.

If you look hard you will find a later model built in this century.

Watch for the SOHC 4.0l, it gives a substantial power increase over the early 4.0.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL, that's great.

It is better with hp numbers. They SOHC does have a lot of timing chain issues that weren't resolved until around 2006. That's why I would go with an OHV 4.0 - but that's a personal preference.
For the right price, plan on timing chains. lol Personally I've had, have 3 Explorers and an 03 Ranger with the SOHC 4.0.

At what mileage does the guide fail on average?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I understand what your saying I do, but Im kinda on a budget only have $1500 to spend on a truck, granted I know its not gonna be great, I did see a 1998 Ranger with a 4.0 but I dont have $4200 to buy it lol I dont have a job at the moment basically doing odd jobs and piece for a general contractor, trying to get out of payments on the one focus and not have to drive the other as a DD while Im trying to do mods and such to it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did howerve see a 99 explorer with a 4.0 in it for $1k said it was misfiring occasionally maybe I should get it lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well Ill be finding out tomorrow lol says shes open to offers maybe Ill try to get it for 800 lol

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Just get a Bronco II and be done with it.

In all seriousness, finding a good Ranger shouldn't be that difficult. I was finding them left and right when i was looking. Just wasn't exactly what I was looking for as I can be quite picky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did find this one

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/ctd/3415682081.html

here is the email the guy sent me this morning after I emailed him
was originally posted in Sarasota now its in lakeland

Hello,

This is Justin,I received your e-mail about my Red 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT .First of all,thank you for your interest. I am selling it because I will soon go on a second tour in A fghanistan and I don't want it getting old in my garage. I will be gone for the next 12 months. The price is low because I need to sell it before we deploy, on 30th of November. The truck is in great condition and runs great. It only has 81,866 highway miles on it. It has never been wrecked and never smoked in. I had serviced it only at the local dealer. Maintenance records are available. Clear title in hand. A few more words about the truck:
- 1999 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT
- Automatic
- 4.0L V6 -engine
-4x4
-A/C
- more pics available at this link: -No rust,dents-always garaged.
Please email me back if you are interested in buying it. The total price is $1,791.00 with no other hidden taxes.

Regards,
Sgt.Justin D. Stewart

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
So what did you end up getting?

SVT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts