Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not new to the Ford brand have 2 Focus ZX3's, soon to be just one, but I now own a 1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC V6 113,358 miles , but whats the difference between the OHV and SOHC engines?

Only bad things are a/c doesnt blow cold but ac clutch does come on so Im sure I can find the leak fix it and recharge the R134A
there is some rusting at the bottom of both back doors in front of back wheels, Im sure I can sand it down, bondo, prime and paint to match easy enuff
Needs a new muffler but thats an easy fix find a cheap oem replacement go to muffler shop have them install
I think I found a leak from what I believe is the 4x4 drive thing lol for the front wheels is leaking fluid a lil bit where the shaft connects to the back of it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Ive been told its my transfer case, I can only assume that its a seal or bearing that is leaking where the shaft connects to it, tomorrow I will crawl under it and get a pic to post and ask how the hell do I fix it without spending a ton of cash lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well muffler has been replaced, have clean up the engine bay looks much better, well the lady I bought it from also gave me the maintenance records from the previous/original owner, it has been very well maintained to say the least from mile 1 to 100,000, the lady i bought it from did not keep records but did say she did the normal maintenance regularly, only thing that I dont see that was changed was the timing belt lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant wait til this weekend so I can go to the junkyard for parts for my zx3 and explorer lol, already decided gonna change front bumper to a 99 front, like the fog lights much better, anyone know if this is possible? Plus I need a new rear bumper this ones a lil bent

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Yes, all you need is the bumper. Undo the 4 nuts, unplug the foglights at each corner mounted to the core support about a foot from the lamp, and remove the bumper. Your ex may or may not have the harness for the fog light circuit. The harness should be there at the core support. Behind the radio bezel is questionable. If you do have the plug, you will need to obtain a different bezel that has the fig lamp switch, and you may need to install two ford mini relays in the auxillary relay box #2, located just below the airbox, next to the radiator...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Yes, they will fit. However, make sure you get all the clips with the trim, and you may have to drill holes in your fender to mount them. Most can be a pain in the a$$ to remove. If the fenders are in good shape, I'd just grab the whole fender...

SVT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I might wait on those then, will probably wanna fix the rust on the bottom of the back doors and on the body below the back doors in front of rear wheel wells, can only assume from salt on the roads in Michigan where the vehicle is originally from

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Pour On Rust is what it stands for. It works really well for stopping rust in its tracks and a good protectant.

SVT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I think beyond doing that lol here are a few pics of the drivers side back door area:

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Yep, that's more than por 15 stats, you'll need to cut that out and replace it...

SVT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea the other side is pretty much the same

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quite a bit actually. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but by most guys in the RBV (Ranger based vehicle) circle, the SOHC is not looked upon as the bright shiny star it was portrayed to be. Many on them have timing chain issues. And when they do, it's a hairy job. The first sign is usually some red chunks of nylon (I think that's what the material is) in your oil when you change it. Then the noises follow.

I'm telling you this because it's something to watch for. I'm not trying to scare you. Many of these get several miles on them before they have issues, and some have them at under 100,000 miles.
So is at the cassettes on the driver side head? Chain tensioner? Other then that, whats your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Changing the tensioners now with the updated set can be good, cheap preventive maintenance, and easier than changing out the cassettes. If the cassettes need changing, the motor has to be pulled to change the passenger set...

SVT

·
Banned
1 Posts
Im also new to the club. Bought my 2015 FR-S a few weeks ago. Im in Simsbury right now but Ill be moving to West Hartford next month. Theres a few evos and s2ks that Ive met up with by my work in Windsor but Im def down for an all 86 cruise some time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts