Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there I'm brand new to this community so please be gentle! Not sure if I'm in the correct area but I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction...

A little background - having been quite happy using public transport for 30+ years I finally took and passed my driving test in July last year, ran around in my partner's old Punto until it died in October (blown gasket). Decided to bite the bullet and get a brand new Fiesta, which I absolutely adore, its such a pleasure to drive compared to the Punto!

Anyway, last night I parked in a multi-storey, I reversed back out in order to straighten myself up, and CRACK, smashed the guy's wingmirror next to me. The glass was all splintered like a spiderweb, but no visible damage to the casing. I consulted with my boyfriend - this having been my first little accident I was really upset! - he suggested driving off but I wouldn't like someone to do that to me! Also in a multi-storey = lots of cameras around. I was in a hurry so I quickly wrote a 'Sorry' note with my mobile number and stuck it under his wiper.

A couple of questions; A) was this the correct thing to do? B) any idea how much it would cost to replace wingmirror glass? Unfortunately I was a bit upset so I didn't take note of what model car it was, C) how long would you normally wait before assuming the other driver isn't going to follow up on the incident?? and finally D) my wingmirror casing is a bit scratched, is it easy to touch up yourself or better to take it to a garage?

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I said I'm a fairly new driver so although its a very minor incident I'm a bit freaked out!

SeaKitten

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1st off welcome to the forum and 2nd off you are doing the right thing.

My Answers for ya:
A) Yes, that was the right thing to do, good job.
B) Depending on the car, between 100-200 US Dollars ... you can convert that for your country.
C) I would say a couple of weeks of waiting.
D) If you have the correct color from the manufacturer you can touch it up, but it will look sloppy. If you want it done correctly and smooth, visit a body shop.

Don't freak out, you did the right thing and have taken fault. You gave the person info to call you, So you should be okay.

If anything, they will call you, you apoligize again, state how to fix either out of pocket or through insurance. And all will be good.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Agreed. If no one is around. Leave a note. If they want to, they will contact you...

Way to be honest... Nice to see.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. The other driver rang yesterday and said he really appreciated my honesty. I guess a lot of people would have driven off. Hasn't given me an estimate yet but fingers crossed it won't be too costly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a great story, glad there are people out there like you! We need more people on this world like you. Hope all went/goes well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts