Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's an anomaly, but it's been impossible to find a new 5-speed Fiesta to test drive, let alone buy one. Dealers in the Atlanta area have tried to bait and switch me into buying a Focus, saying it's much more car for the money. Give me a break! I just wonder why Ford bothers marketing a car that can't be located and that dealers don't even seem interested in offering. God help me if I were to seriously want one with the optional sunroof. That feature is listed as "Late Available". I think the whole car should be listed that way!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hold out for one even if you have to order one. In another Fiesta site there was a poll of owners, and it was almost 40% !! who ordered the 5 speed. I would not have bought mine if it had an auto.

Dan
11 Fiesta SE 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
My local dealer ( in Maryland) had one stick and threee autos. The stick sold first...Imagine that

They got in a second stick and its gone too...Ya think they would learn :).. Keep looking! And go into the dealer and TELL THEM what you are waiting for...

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^^ Thats what they are telling us, but I don't believe it. :)... I still think if you were "driving for milage" you can get better milage with a manual stick...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to agree with viney on this... the mpg difference between the auto and manual is only about 1-3mpg on the sticker. I have since been battling my coworker with his auto fiesta for the best gas mileage. So far I have been able to beat him in my manual. I realllllllllllly babied the car this morning and on a 72 mile trip with a little rush hour traffic, my average right now shows as 46.6 (I'll post a picture later). Granted I know tihs will drop by the end of the tank, but my coworker hasn't even got anywhere near this on his auto at any point with his avg mpg. I'd be curious to run the two side by side in the same conditions and same speed etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the stick but in reality the auto is better becasue it actually get's better gas mileage.
No, the auto got better mileage in the EPA test. The auto shifts when the computer tells it too. The manual is shifted when the EPA wants to, not when Ford says they should. I don't remember when they shift, but it is way higher than what most people do. I'm normally in 5th at about 30 mph. I think the EPA was close to 50. That said, the auto is excellent. The car with the best MPG's will be the one with the best driver, not the transmission.

Dan

5 speed

·
Banned
17 Posts
No, the auto got better mileage in the EPA test. The auto shifts when the computer tells it too. The manual is shifted when the EPA wants to, not when Ford says they should. I don't remember when they shift, but it is way higher than what most people do. I'm normally in 5th at about 30 mph. I think the EPA was close to 50. That said, the auto is excellent. The car with the best MPG's will be the one with the best driver, not the transmission.

Dan

5 speed
This is my first manual car that I've owned and I've noticed the computer tells me to shift a little later then I would normally. I just thought it was all in my head :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dem 5 Speeds are very rare

Hi I've been a lister for 6 months and can certainly agree with the Atlanta poster that there's no 5 speed Fiestas in all of Atlanta. I had to order mine.

Now here's the pros/cons of ordering your car from the factory.

I ordered a SES 5door 5spd with about every option and it still was only $20K
The bummer was it took 5 months to get said car; I think the problem was the order had a number pad for entry ordered for the door and It seemed to have jammed the order process being incompatable in their system. Don't know why.

This 5 spd is nice and as observed previously it's way tooo tall in 3rd gear and 5th gear. More torque and HP would help there. Tranny is smooth and shifts very well. The top stereo speakers in this one w/ Sirius have a strong clean bass and midrange. I think our going to work and back gas mileage is about 32 or 33mpg. Even at a steady state 70 on the interstate and with the numbers zeroed out it seems to not pull those 40mpg numbers ever. Any other obervations with their 5spd modell similiar to mine.

I had the arm rest ordered off the web and gave to my salesman to have installed when the car arrived. That armrest is perfect. HOWEVER, my dealer charged me $135 for 1.5 hrs install labor. I called to pitch a bitch and at least got my first oil change free. Told em when I lived in Italy the mob used to just shoot me in the feet. dang.

at 3000 miles car is still super and even survived it's first accident 3 weeks ago when a dodge dakota pickup side swiped us and kept on going. I jumped into the wtf mode and chased thru traffic after said truck and got the liscense plate number and called 911 about a H&R and impaired driver and after 10 mi I was ordered to pull off and wait for an officer. He came and did the report. Days later I found she (the other Veh) was picked up soon after and denied ever beinf in the area of the collision and somehow could not explain that infamous Lime Green Fiesta paint on her left front. She was taken directly to jail. wahoo.

Body shop finished yesterday and the work was perfect on the right doors and fender. The green is an actual 3 part color so it's tought to get it right and they did. Salute.

The lil guy can take a hit. And my wife says it's her car.....

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
^^^ Nice to hear, other than the dakota wackin you.

We ordered our focus wagon, as we could NOT find one in a 5speed ( sound familiar)..We only had to wait 9 weeks. I didn't mind as our old car was still running along fine :), and at the time we got a 850 dollar discount for buying the stick! Which we wanted anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, I like the sound of the arm rest. Where did you find that?

Oh and hit and runs seem to be following the fiesta community - Mine suffered a same fate, however I was not in the car at the time. Glad to hear they go the paint and body work right :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aha, I see this now. Very nice. How did the armrest look in the car? I'd imagine it would make the car feel a little crowded considering it's a little small already?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts