Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going to be a few more weeks before I can get full blown with this build, but I'm going to go ahead and start this anyways. The whole idea behind this build is to build a very capable yet streetable offroad daily driver from junkyard parts. A daily driver designed for hardcore weekend wheeling, thus HWW was born (Hardcore Weekend Wheeler).
The parts, 94 xcab, 96 2wd xcab frame, 4.0l engine and 5 speed trans from the same 94 truck the xcab was from, hybrid 1350/1354 doubler, 79 full width 44, custom beadlocks. I have a Dana 60U, but found it won't really work with my plans, so I'm building a hybrid full width 8.8 with 9" shafts and 9.75" disc brakes. The idea was to run full float rear, but the full float hubs won't fit the 5 lug rims I will be using. So I will be using a full width 8.8 center for driveshaft ground clearance, 9" axle shafts that has the outer retainer in case a shaft breaks, and 9.75" disc brakes, which should slide right on the 9" axle shafts. For those that are unfamiliar with the 9.75, they are found under 97+ f150 and expeditions. If this was not a C clip axle, I would run it, as it has 34 spline axle shafts stock.
The cab was originally a buddy of mine's that I bought off him with clear title to do a trade for a boat with another buddy. That deal fell through, so I decided to do a build. At the time I bought just the cab complete interior, but no hood or fenders. Later I made a deal with him to do some V8 swap work for the motor, trans and ECU/harness that was originally from the 94 4x4 cab.
Since I had the cab, but no frame, I decided to use my 96 2wd ranger lowrider frame. I knew I wanted a solid axle up front, and the 2wd frames are easier to SAS, so it only made sense to use it. Later, I plan to build a custom tube frame truggy for the 96 cab. A tube bed will be built on the soon to be shortened frame.
Here is the 96 ranger frame being pulled...

Here is the frame and bed, which will be pulled...

Here is the 94 cab setup for receiving the frame...

Here it is sitting on the 96 frame...

In the background you can see project Fordzilla, the 90 4x4 f350 that donated its front axle to SVT, which will be built with a diesel engine and end up a nice tow rig. Not much else has been done, there is an explorer 8.8 under the rear now, but it will be swapped when the hybrid axle is done...

Price tag:
cab, motor, trans $300
frame. FREE
79 dana 44 hp front axle $150
fw 8.8 with 4.56 gears $50
Dana 44 hp 4.56 gears $100
36" irok tires 90% set of 5 $400
dana 44 series 4 carrier $30
badlands 12k winch $250
DIY beadlocks $75
97 motor $185
M90 supercharger $25
M90 rebuild kit $60

Total invested so far $1,625

I originally planned for this to be a quick build, but with all the other projects going on, it's turned into a relatively slow build...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, not much of an update, but thanks to Dustin and the Ebay/Craigslist finds, I picked up a full width 8.8 welded with 456 gears for $50! Now I just gotta pick up a couple of 9" shafts, 9" bearing housing ends, and the disc brakes off a 9.75. I'll probably just throw the disc brakes from the 9.75 onto a 9" axle and walk it out the door at the boneyard as it'll be cheaper that way...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dana 44 up front, need large lug pattern, and I want whoever ends up with HWW to be able to use off the shelf parts for maintenance. From what I remember, the 9.75 uses a metric pattern, but its so close to the 5 on 5 that they interchange with no mods. I should be able to get on this project full force in about 2 weeks....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
I found out while shopping at my favorite used autoparts store (the junkyard, of course) that the 9.75" disc brake rotors won't directly fit the 5 on 5 pattern, but its so close that drilling the 1/2" holes out to 9/16" will make em fit. The center hub in the axleshaft will keep the rotor centered so the enlarged holes won't be a problem. I also bought a set of 5- 36" iroks for $400 with better than 90% on 4, the 5th is brand new. They're still on my buddies rig, so I may get a set of MTR treadwrights instead. I also picked up a pair of 6" xj rough country 190 ppi coil springs which should make this thing super flexy! I might install a swaybar from an explorer to help with body roll if I need it. Plans are to inboard the rear springs to get the needed lift. Still need to get front gears, lockers for both axles, shocks on all corners, fab a pair of bumpers, winch, and fab the reduction box...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small updates accomplished today...
Decided to get a little done today as I had a couple hours free. I wanted to pull the bed, lift the cab up(it's already disconnected, just has 4 bolts holding the cab to the frame) and install the motor and trans. But since the truck isn't mobile yet, and I'm limited to hand tools and my cordless impact. Well, 2 of the bed bolts were not installed when the bed was installed years ago, but I only managed to get 1 of the 4 bed bolts out. So, I didn't get the bed pulled like I wanted to. I ended up using the tractor to install the motor and trans the conventional way. What a pain in the a$$! But, I finally got the motor mostly in. I say mostly cause its not bolted in yet. I need to get a set of 4.0l motor mounts as I don't have a set. I didn't have my phone with me, so no pics today. Hopefully the next couple days I can get the front axle in place to get this thing mobile so I can make some real progress with it...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updates...
I had a couple hours this morning, so I went to work getting the front axle under the truck. I wanted to get the axle under the truck, and wheels bolted on it sitting on its own weight. I missed that goal, but not by much. Here is yesterday's progress with the motor and trans sitting in the engine bay...

Here is the truck stripped of the stock front suspension ready for the solid axle...

Here is the dana 44 thats going under the truck. Once its in, I'll pull it apart for upgrades...

Here is the rear axle thats gonna go under it, its a full width 8.8 loaded with 4.56 gears, but it still is getting some custom work done to it to improve it, more on this later...

Here is the 44 being moved into position, the easy way...

Here it is sitting under the truck, with the 6" rough country XJ coils I got, they're rated at 190 ppi, so they should be super flexy. I may end up cutting a coil or two off to adjust the ride height. I won't know that until I finish building the truck...

The coil springs bolted in...

Since the full width axle coil spring mounts are wider than the ranger's coil buckets, the springs have a slight bow to them. This is temporary as I'm getting the truck mobile so I can move it to my shop. Here you can see how much bow they have....

If you look closely, you can see the lower coil mount bolts are offset, and the larger section is on the outside. I plan to rotate the lower mounting cup 180* to move the lower coil mount inward and see if this will be enough. I'm thinking about pushing the front axle forward about 6" or so, and if I do I will have to move the coil buckets on the frame, If I do, I will space out the buckets so the coils will be in line...

This is where I stopped. The tracbar is on the axle, but I don't have a frame mount yet as where the truck is, I don't have access to power tools. I have the axle held in place with two ratchet straps side to side, and I have a short chain on each side from the radius arm mount forward to the frame horns. I need two more ratchet straps to go from the radius arm mounts on the axle to the trans crossmember to hold the axle in place from moving front to back. I will then be able to jack the truck up and put some wheels on it so I can move it to my shop to install the brackets. I hope to get more work done on this truck in a couple days...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much done today, but its officially a roller! I have two chains and four ratchet straps holding the axle in place til I can get it to my shop so I can get the brackets on the frame. I also need to shorten the drag link, as its too long to reach the pitman arm. Tracbar looks like it'll work, but I'll most likely fab an adjustable one...

It's sitting a little tall right now, but I still have the fenders, hood, custom bumper and winch to add to the front, along with dual transfer cases and other parts. It's got a nice wide stance to it, I'm liking it...

As it sits now, I'm gonna need to clearance the rear of the engine crossmember. I clearances the front prior to installing the motor, but as you can see the back is now in the way. I will be pushing the axle forward about 8 inches from its current position, but it'll still be in the way of driveshaft clearance...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still need to get a few things, but I'm hoping by thanksgiving. The way things go around here, there's no telling...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small update in the parts area. I needed to fab a pair of radius arm frame brackets to attach to the frame. I also wanted to extend them. I ended up working out a deal for the extended arms that project D ranged were using. I'll be heading up there in a couple weeks to finish getting D running, when I do, I'll pick up the arms then...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I went back to look for a pic of the DIY beadlocks I had my buddy made me for HWW, and I couldn't find them in my other thread and I aparantly deleted the only pic I had in my PM box. So I took a couple pics of it, here it is...

It has the monster energy drink font to it, without saying that, it looks like it was cut out with a torch free hand. I still have to drill and tap the inner rings. I could of had him do this as well, but to cut down on the work he had to do, I just had him mark the holes and I'd drill and tap them. I also haven't decided if I want to go with 5/16 or 3/8 bolts...

And here is where I'm stuck at. I can't decide if I want to use the 15x8 wagon wheels I have in this pic, which has more rust than you can see...

Or use a set of these which I would have to get from the junkyard, they are 91 stock F150 rims and are 15x7...

The tires I'm going to be running are 35-37" tall and 12.50" wide. The DIY beadlocks add about 3/4"-1" of width to the rim, so either rim would work. I can't decide which to go with. Thoughts? Opinions?

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, its official. Just made a deal on some wheeling tires. 36x13.50 bias ply super swamped Iroks. They have decent tread left, so they will work. I'm swapping a set of good 33 mud tires I have on another truck. So I need to do some tire swapping. I got a set of military tires a little while back. I need to mount them on my wagon wheels I have that came on my f350, the tires on it now are dry rotted to the point of not holding air. Then I need to pull my 33s off my f350 and dismount them on the 15x10 rims so I can mount them on my buddy's rims. I should be going back out that way in about 3 weeks...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time to get back on this, I really had planned on getting this thing built in just a couple weeks. Anyways, I had a deal worked out for a pair of extended radius arms, that deal has since fell through. So I need to fab a set of arms. But to do that, I need to set the engine and Tcase in place first. I also need to get my doubler built as I need to know where the front driveshaft is going to be, as this is close to the area where my arms' pivot point will be. I also want to push the front axle forward 4-6", possibly more. So I'm going to start the doubler Monday. Plans are to build a custom reduction box case, and not use a 1350 case like the typical way the 50/54 doublers are normally made. The reason for this is I'm after the shortest possible doubler setup possible. I'm thinking of using a Toyota transfercase for a few reasons. They are small, lightweight, all gear design, and most of all, the ability to be twin-sticked. There is also a 6.5:1 gearset that is available should the need for a lower crawl ratio be needed. Twin-sticks are not really needed that I have found so far in my experience in wheeling, but that's not to say it would never be needed. This option, of course, would add to the cost, as I don't have a Toyota Tcase, I do have a working 1350, a 1350 for parts, a working electric 1354, and a good 4405 case. If I stick with the ranger cases, I will take the 54 guts and install them into the 4405 case. The 50 and 54 front case splits into multiple parts (the reason why one of my 50 cases is a parts case, the front part has broken case parts) whereas the 4405 is a one piece-half design, the front half case is does not split into separate pieces...
I also decided on using the wagon wheels I have. With the tires I have (36x13.5x15), I really need a 10" wide rim, so the extra inch in width will be needed. The rims are 15x8, and after the beadlocks are welded on the final width will be about 8.75". After the doubler I may build the beadlocks...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might see if I can snatch a 6 pinion from the yard next time I go, I'm down to just one, the one in my 54...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not too much of an update. Been busy with other things. Been redesigning the doubler and I'm almost done with the design. Hopefully next week I can start cutting material and building the all new doubler. I will most likely market it when I'm done as all the research I've done, my design will be stronger, shorter, and less parts. I'm at a stand still on the build as I need to find my total length of my drivetrain so I can locate the front axle, plan where the rear axle will be as I'm aiming to run the same length driveshafts front & rear. I'd like to push the front axle about 6" from stock, but I also might suck the front body in a couple inches. I'm going with a custom front end, so body work is needed anyways...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Small parts update:
36/13.5/15 iroks, have about 60% tread...

Also picked up a set of 4.56 gears for the front axle. They're in the mail, so I should have them in a couple days. I now have matching front and rear gears. Still need front and rear lockers and a rear carrier since the rear is currently welded. Still need a few parts from the junkyard like a radiator, AC condenser, motor mounts, fuel tank and fuel lines. Probably a couple more items I'm forgetting at the moment. I now have all the components for the wheel & tire package, just got to sand the rims down, weld on the beadlock rings, paint the rims, then mount the tires on the rims. Really wish I had some wider rims though, probably why I haven't mounted them yet...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took a little longer to get the gears, come to find out the guy didnt send them til the 2nd. Anyways, now ive got to find me an open series 4 carrier (3.92 and up) since the gears are not thick cut. Might look into using a spacer, though ive never used those before and I have my doubts...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I picked up this chevy axle just for parts. Specs: dana 44, unknown lunchbox locker, 4.88 gears, flat top knuckles already drilled & tapped for high steer, and high steer arms. Looks like the high steer arms were drilled straight, not tapered. I'll be picking this up tomorrow, for $200. I'll be pulling the series 4 carrier out and using it and the locker, then I'll pull the high steer arms off, pull the knuckles off, pull the gears and sell em separately. I'll also pull the stub shafts and they will go up on the auction block as well. I'll be left with the inner shafts, the housing and the diff cover. Might take my series 3 carrier from the 44 under HWW and put it in the chevy 44 housing and try and sell it, otherwise it'll go in the scrap pile. I'll see if I can use the inner shafts in the ford 44. I dont remember if they're the same length or not, I really just need the long side, time will tell. The calipers will either go with the knuckles or I'll put them on the 10 bolt I was given and try to sell it. I dont know if it has lockouts or not, but if it does, they're going up for sale as well. I should be able to make my money back plus some as well as keep the carrier and locker, which is all I wanted anyway. Here's a pic of the chevy 44 I'm picking up tomorrow...

SVT

1 - 20 of 43 Posts