Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is another V8 swap sport trac I'll be doing. I had a member on explorer forum contact me about doing his swap, since another shop ripped him off of trying to perform the swap...

This is David's (N2Ford) 01 sport trac V8 swap thread. It will be getting a 4406 electric tcase installed at the same time. It will also be getting a disc brake upgrade as well as a limited slip carrier installed. My life has had some changes recently, so I'm limited to only a couple of hours or so per day during the week to work on this, so it'll be slow but hopefully steady. David is not in a rush to get this completed, so I won't be rushing this swap, it'll be done correctly and with detail, just as if it were my own truck. I won't go into detail on the removal from the donor, but I will mention what is needed from the donor, and will go into detail when installing the engine into the trac. Here is the donor explorer, a 98 AWD involved in a light front end collision, 98k on the clock...

The engine...

The recipient, a Job 2 2001 sport trac 4x4...

I originally wanted to start the engine in the donor to make sure everything operated as it should. Since I was missing the radiator, the trans cooling lines were exposed. So I chose to skip this step, and started by removing the front clip. The core support had extensive damage, so removing the core support made it easier to remove the engine....

Recently I had to change the heater core in my trac, and found you have to remove the heater box in the engine compartment to change it. I realized that it only takes 4 bolts to remove the heater box, and gives you ample room to pull the motor. My numerous previous swaps I've removed and installed the motor with the box in place, this is the first time I'm removing the box to perform the swap, and I think I'll be doing it this way from now on. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove all the bolts and wiggle the box out, and all the bolts have easy access. Here is a shot of the box removed, and the clearance I now have. Notice some mice have took residence inside the cab. I'll have to closely inspect the dash wiring harness when I go to pull it...

After removing the heater box, I got a closer look at the passenger side engine bay, and I found this. I'll have to see if I can use the tube from the trac's 4.0, otherwise I'll need to order one...

Over on the driver side, I removed the entire engine bay harness at the firewall. The engine harness stays with the motor....

Here is the complete engine bay harness, from the driver side firewall connectors around to the heater box connections...

Here is where I stopped for today, and how it looks.

The fuel lines were disconnected, power steering pressure and return lines, the battery hold down brackets to the frame, the cruise module, and the heater hose lines. All thats left up top is the throttle cable from the pedal, as it'll be reused. Down under both driveshafts, the trans crossmember, shifter cable and the exhaust need to be disconnected and the motor, trans, and tcase can be removed in one piece. I plan to have the drivetrain and the rear axle for tomorrow's progress. Stay tuned...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, got a little done today, nothing worthy of pics though. Got the front driveshaft out, the rear driveshaft bolts are really on there, so I'm just gonna separate the driveshaft at the slip section, and pull the bolts after I get the axle and tcase out where I have more leverage. Got the tcase skid plate out, got one of the exhaust pipes unbolted and separated. Started hurting after that, so I called it a day. Hopefully monday I'm in better shape and be ready to pull the motor...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled my back monday cutting up a couple trees for firewood, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. Still somewhat tender...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got some more work done today, and found more damage from the wreck. This is the driver side exhaust manifold doughnut flange...

This is the passenger flange. Its cracked at least half way around...

The rest of the exhaust was fun to get out. It was broke loose at the factory connector between the cat and the muffler. The driver side pipe needed to be removed before the engine was removed, the passenger after the engine removed, in order to keep the pipes in one piece. Here the motor is on its way out...

Doesnt look like much, but with the exhaust fighting the whole way, took a couple hours to get it out. Here the motor is finally out...

Trying to get the donor completely stripped before its chariot arrives the 15th to take it to its final resting place. Should have more work done tomorrow...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my personal experience, once a crack develops, even repaired, the crack doesnt stop. Im asking the owner what he wants to do. Upgrades were in his future, so he might do them now...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the trans, I haven't had time to inspect it yet, was running late at a prior engagement as I was lifting the engine out. But there isn't trans fluid everywhere so I think its ok. I'll be doing a tuneup while its out, might be swapping out the headers for a set of ford racing headers if they can be found...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got some more done, its taking longer than I anticipated to strip the truck, but its got some rust making it troublesome. I also realized im not taking a bunch of pics, hope ya'll ain't too mad about that. Here the front axle is pulled so I could remove the motor mounts. The motor mounts and trans mount look almost new...

I also pulled the power steering supply and return lines...

Started working on pulling the rear axle, which is where I stopped today. More progress next week...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LS 3.73, the trac is open 4.10. He wants the LS installed in his, which means a carrier install, and a disc brake install, as he has drum. I'm going to pull my trac's rear axle and install it in his, and put the 3.73 LS in mine along with the front axle. I want to lower my rpms as I'm turning 2k @ 60 mph, going to taller gears should help out in the mpg department.
And the trans housing is good, it was just the exhaust that was damaged...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to look, I'm not sure...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a little done today, its a swamp out here from all the snow melting. Found out Dave has spacers...

I'm not a coffee drinker, but it makes a great nut n bolt bin...

Here's a trick for those stubborn E brake cable triple sided retaining clips. Use a boxed end 13mm wrench, it allows you to slide the cable right out...

And the axle is out...

Also got some parts in from rock auto today...

Not much, but its progress...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the rear axle pulled...

Pulled the abs pump/module and the g force module...

Got the muffler pulled...

Got another axle in to keep it a roller...

Back on its wheels, ready for pickup Monday...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, trying to make up for all the snow days...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, I remember. If they are worth some change, let me know, I can scoop them up pretty cheap and send em to ya. I hit the junkyard today, picked up a 99 ecu, engine and trans harness, fuel rails, and injectors. I did notice that the connector for the injectors are different. Up to 98 the injectors were EV1, these on the 99 are EV6 style, so I had to grab the injectors too...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's today's progress, and for the pic happy people. Here's the EV6 injectors and returnless fuel rail...

Here's the oil pressure sensor plug on the 99...

And here's the oil pressure sensor for the 96-98 harnesses...

Here's the 96-98 cam syncronizer plug...

Here's the 99-01 two wire plug...

Not pictured, but the 96-97 alternator harness is separate from the engine harness. Here's a shot of the 98-01 setup with it running with the engine harness...

Here's the EV6 injectors and the returnless fuel rails installed...

Here's where I stopped. When I removed the upper intake, the gasket tore, so I need to get another one. Here the 99 harness is on the motor, with the upper intake just sitting on the motor...

This motor has been sitting for a while. The throttle body has corrosion built up around the blade, and I couldn't open the throttle, the alternator was rusted where it couldn't be turned by hand, the pullies are all stiff, and the serpentine belt, although a new motorcraft belt, was stuck to every single pulley. Pulled the belt off, put a ratchet on the alternator and broke it loose, when put my cordless impact on it and spun it for about 5 seconds. It spins freely now. Put a ratchet on the crank expecting it not to turn over, but it did. The AC compressor feels stiff, so Ill probably use the one off the 4.0.
The trans harness has the same connections from the 98 harness and the 99-01, with no vss in the trans/tcase.

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, the injectors are totally different. I posted in my ST thread aboug some plug n play adapters. Its either that or you get the pigtails and splice them on. But if I were you and was going to upgrade, I'd go to the newer EV15 injectors...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just saw your post. Fordfuelinjection.com went down, so I cant give you a comparison...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some more done today. The brake lines from the explorer were in bad shape, so I went to the junkyard and got some replacement parts...

Got the axle in the truck...

Here's the replacement line. I also had to replace the driverside flex line, as the mount to the hardline was rusted...

Here's the new rotors Dave bought. I almost put them on my truck, lol...

Here's the driverside flexline...

Cause of the lift, the flex line was stretched tight when the suspension was full droop, so instead of putting the flex line in the bracket, I pulled the hard line down to give it more slack...

Here's the E brake cable connected...

I would have got the wheels back on it, but I need to replace the E brake shoes as they were cracked, which is a common problem. That's all for today, gonna get some more done tomorrow...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some done today, but cut short by the rain. Through the rear tires on temporarily to move it around. Started pulling the motor, got the hood off, battery out, rad out, fan shield, ECU & 42 pin plug disconnected, fuel line disconnected, cruise control & throttle cable disconnected, emissions tube disconnected, 12 pin alternator harness disconnected, power steering return line, airbox, heater hoses, vacuum lines feeding heater control valve, vacuum line feeding brake booster, bjb power feed line, and motor mount nuts. Also got the rear driveshaft out, and that's where I had to stop as the rain was moving in...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updates. When I pulled the harness from the junkyard, every one of the locking clips on the injector plugs broke off. Over time they get brittle. I didn't like the way they were loose on the injector, so I got some replacement plugs...

Here is a closeup of the locking clip...

Here you can see the clip that's broke on the harness...

Here is one plug replaced, next to a broken plug, sitting on the injector...

After that was done, it was time to install the new finewire platinum plugs...

According to Ford, plug gap should be between .052-.056. I gapped them at .055. The old plugs were gapped between .042-.046...

After they were installed, then I swapped the exhaust manifolds. All but one bolt was reused on each side. I needed a longer bolt...

The motor is now ready to drop in. I've got another intake gasket, but the upper intake needs to be removed for installation. I might install the 4406 before it goes in. I continued prepping for the motor to come out. Got both driveshafts out, disconnected the shifter cable, tcase electrical connector, and started getting the exhaust unbolted from the motor. This is where things got bad. Got the driver side without a problem. The passenger side, however, was a royal pain to get to. Got one nut off, but when I went to get the other off, it finally broke free with a lot of force, causing me to badly injure my arm in the process. Got a pretty bad hematoba just above my elbow. It was immobile for about 2 hours. Still can't bend it more than 50% without assistance. With the pain I was in, I was done for the day. Tomorrow I hope its feeling better, my goal is to have the 4.0 out and at least have the 5.0 in and mounted. Starting Thursday I'll be back on 14 hr days for about a week or so, so progress will be slow after tomorrow. Also noticed looking through the pile of replacement parts that the fuel filter is the wrong type. There are two types, a 2" diameter and a 3", Dave has the 3", but got the 2". I ran into the same problem with my setup. The 3" isn't available from our favorite parts store, so I might order a couple from rock auto...

SVT

1 - 20 of 83 Posts