Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So, with my phone dead til about noon, I got both driveshafts modded and installed. I chose to weld on the correct ends rather than run conversion joints, as they tend to be a weak link. Didn't get any pics of that, but I'll try to remember to get them when I do the exhaust, which I had planned to do today, but it'll be tomorrow morning. I also did the tach mod, which involves removing the instrument cluster, removing the black/yellow wire from pin 8 of the 10 pin connector...

...removing the pin out of the harness for the 10 pin connector...

...and installing the wire into the harness for the 16 pin connector in pin 16....

Here the pin is installed in the empty slot...

Then I started taking the column apart for the pats wiring. I swapped out the pats transceiver around the ignition cylinder. I found the key in ignition sensor was broke, so to keep it in place I zip-tied the connector in place. If you look closely, you can see the retaining clip that broke off in the bottom of the cylinder. I don't know if I broke it or not, but I didn't have to remove it or mess with it...

I started reviewing the notes in the pats E to B swap, and notes are inconsistent. So I'm researching now how I can go about wiring it in. I had a spare key that I got somewhere along my way that didn't fit anything, but I got it just for the chip inside the key, which I used for this swap. So for now, this is where the progress ends as I need to research the pats...
SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok, got the diagram for the pats on a 99 5.0 explorer, no where near as complicated as it seems, but I didn't look at the Ford schematics til just now. The pats communicates to the ECU via the data link connector, thats it. 4 wires goes from the pats module to the pats transceiver, one ground, one ignition and one constant hot, thats it. I'll get that wired in tonight after supper and reprogram the ecu...
SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
You get the driveshaft figured out? Jeremy text me and said he was helping Brandi Saturday. Didn't hear if they found what you needed.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Shane, I've got the ford EVTM, but I was going off the link thats posted on RPS. Problem is, there's a dark blue/green that wasnt listed in the diagram, its for the theft light in the instrument cluster.
Dustin, they didnt find one that wasnt bent, so I ended up cutting two up to make one. Owner is going to either get this one balanced or get one off ebay...
So I was going over both EVTM's and what I was trying to do, bypassing the pats by grounding the wires, wouldnt work cause the pats data link wires on the vehicle end are not supported on the explorer ecu. The pats actually uses the same wires that the diagnostic port uses to transmit the okay to start signal...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Kool, but im delivering this friday, so I dont have time really. I'm going yo the offroad expo in louisville this coming weekend, then I'll probably be swinging by henderson for a few days to get the motor and trans for the mounty. I'll pick up those rims then...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What do you use to soldier A butane torch or the electric soldiering gun?
Rick, what butane torch do you like? Been thinking about getting one of those little units made by Weller.

This is the solder gun I use. I really like this unit as it has an ignitor built in, the others I've seen, like at home depot, you have to light with a lighter, and they blow out easy, so not so good in windy/outside conditions...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Today's progress...
Got the exhaust done, pics bring the suck as the sun was messing with the auto light focus...

Here are the driveshafts installed...

For the pats install, it was installed next to the steering column, just behind the access panel. Power and ground wires were tied into the instrument cluster wiring, and the data link wires were tied into the diagnostic port...

This is what I used to reprogram the keys...

And I was unnsuccessful at it. I can't tell if I the previous keys were erased from memory or not, as I was having connectivity issues with some actions I was trying to perform. As of right now, the pats is shutting down system, verified by both a no start condition and a 1260 code. I took the ecu from my trac and installed it in the red trac, and it started, I took my SCT handheld and returned the ecu back to stock. 2 minutes later, on a stock tune, I had a no start condition. I reloaded my pats deleted tune to my ecu in David's truck, and 2 minutes later, the truck started.
What this tells me is the wiring is correct, that I'm having problems reprogramming David's ecu. At this point, since my Rotunda is having problems reprogramming the keys to the ecu (also tried reprogramming the gears and tire size, no go), I'm down to two choices, bring it to a dealer for a reprogram, or get a tuner and delete the pats. Talking to David now about options...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Nope, I tried. Gotta program the keys into the ecu. The ecu is not recognizing the keys, causing the ecu to give a no start condition...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That may work, but right now, I think there's no keys programmed into the system, which requires programming. I wouldn't mind trying it, but I don't have the endless $$ $$ to try random stuff out. I've used pats bypass modules before, but not on ford pats...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The engine turns over, the ecu is shutting down the injectors from the pats...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So, I took my pats deleted ecu and installed it in David's trac, and went for its first test drive. I could already tell its got more power than mine has, and its got a miss to it. Initially i have the CEL on. Ran down the road, no speedometer. Got it up to around 60 mph or so, and there's a slight driveline vibration, but that was to be expected as the driveshafts need balancing. Got back to the house, checked the plug wires. One of them has a pretty bad cut on it, and its near a metal bracket, so it made sense the more load the engine was under, the worse the miss was. Ran the codes, I have two, 0113 (IAT sensor reading high) and 0500 (vss malfunction). The high IAT reading could be that im using the 98 maf. The vss, could either be the rear vss (doubtful as it was working before), the oss in the trans, or an issue with the wiring. I'll double check the wiring and see.
I have another issue that majically appeared. The shifter will not shift out of park with the key off or in the run position. You have to turn the key slightly, then the interlock releases allowing you to pull on the shift lever toward the driver. With the key in the on position the interlock engages, acting like the key is off. Only thing I did was remove the ignition key cylinder to swap out the pats transceiver. The interlock is further down by the ignition switch, which is strange that its acting up.
The alternator gauge is reading a little low, but the alternator light isn't on, and the voltage is in spec, but barely. Not really concerned with this.
The other thing is the tcase, its shifts from 2hi to 4hi, but wont shift to 4lo. Since the ecu can't detect the vss at this point, it won't shift to low range. I'm pretty sure once the vss is corrected, it'll shift to low range...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
He's in Louisville this weekend for an off-road expo. Doubt he is making progress from there.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just got back from Louisville, sure do wish I could have went to the expo. Here's the breakdown....
Got to Louisville friday night about 930, hotel we booked was straight from the gutter, I mean bad. With less than 2 minutes in the room, we loaded our bags back up, headed back to the truck. Got the the front desk, was able to get a refund. I was asked if the beds had been made when I got to the room. BTW, this was America's best value inne and suites, on kemmons drive, in Louisville. Don't ever go there. They should pay you to stay there. Anyways, hopped in the truck, started heading down the road, looking for another hotel. Found one, a Days Inn, just down the road from the expo. Got checked in and paid for 2 nights, and about 45 minutes of being in the room, disaster strikes. Brandi started having excessive bleeding, losing about 2 quarts of blood just at the hotel. Get EMS called, headed for the closest ER. Was there about an hour, and they called in a doc from another hospital, as they deemed it was not safe to transport her to the hospital he was at, which was downtown. 30 minutes later, upon his arrival, and 2 more quarts of blood lost, he was there less than 15 minutes, and took her straight into surgery in one of the ER rooms. 1.5 hours later (about 4am), he comes out to tell us it was a success, and she's in recovery now. Soon as she stabilizes, we can leave. 8 hours later, they finally transfer her to the hospital downtown that has the doctors on duty that she needs (about 2pm). With me not having no sleep or food up to now, which has been over 30 hours straight, I'm beyond tired. Fast forward to today, 2 units of blood and 14 bags of saline later, she was finally discharged about 11am, Louisville time, this morning after she was able to keep food down. So I had a long weekend, no sight of the expo, which I heard the first rock bouncer back flip was performed this weekend at the expo. I seen a couple of pics off facebook, and the backflip. I stopped after that as I was sick to my stomach, partly cause I was unable to go, even with it being a hop, skip and a jump away, but mainy cause I come close to losing the love of my life this weekend.
Moral of this real life story brothers, cherish those you love, tell them you love them every chance you get, cause you never know when it just could be your last.
I'm up in Henderson for this week to take care of her, as she can barely walk, and severely sore and bruised...

Shane, I ended up selling him my ECU and tuner to delete pats. I realized just how much power my trac is low on, compared to this, mine feels like I've got 600k miles on the motor, way underpowered compared to this one.

Dustin, since I'm up here, at some point I need to get up to your place to get those rims...

SVT

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hope Brandi is recovering 100 % wow thats alot of blood to lose. I donote blood sort of regularly so hope to help people in need.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Oh my. I'm glad everything worked out and she is doing well. That's some serious shit.

Any morning you want to get together is fine. Or this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks, guys. Dustin, the next couple mornings I'm sure I'll be close by her side as she is still real tender and still needs help getting up to the restroom and eating. So probably wednesday.

SVT

41 - 60 of 83 Posts