Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Brandi's dad's jeep that I have been working on thats at my shop. its a 2002 jeep TJ (wrangler). It originally had a 4.0L engine with the NV3550 manual trans. The trans is similar to a T5, but in 4x4 flavor. At about 118,000 miles, the motor spun a bearing, and so a motor swap was born. It was decided to swap in a Ford 5.0L from a mustang. So, I sourced a motor and cleaned it up...

Then it was decided to do a slight upgrade. At this time I bought an M90 for my V8 sport trac, and was agging him on that once I did mine, we had to do one on his. Well, it kind of backfired on me as he handed me the $$ to get him an M90 right there on the spot. Well, my mad scientist wheels started turning, and I upgraded before I upgraded. I decided to sell him the M90 I had and upgrade mine to the M122. Here is the M90 mocked up on the motor...

So the fabrication begins of making an adapter plate to bolt the charger to the lower GT40 intake....

At this time, a decision was made to move the jeep to my shop so I can finish up the small details. Up to this point it was at his house, 2 hours away, and I worked on it on the weekends when I was up there...

Next came fabricating the intake tube...

Here is the charger upgrade painted and completed. Higher flow injectors installed, and the charger mounted along with the intake and throttle body. The serpentine belt is next, and at about 104" in length, its one looooooong belt. Still need to get that...

I'm also doing a hydroboost brake system upgrade....

Why do a hydroboost conversion you ask? The normal vacuum brake booster provides about 1800 psi of brake pressure. The hydroboost system provides about 3500 psi of brake pressure. Much better brakes with less pedal effort. It's a win win. If you think hydroboost came on only big trucks with big brake needs, think again. This unit came off an astrovan. lincoln mark 7's, astrovans, 96+ mustangs, as well as 3/4 ton and up trucks use hydroboost. This is about where I'm at with this project...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a new brand of belt, 3M is branching out [twothumbs] Let me know when you are ready to bolt up a charger to your motor, I'll fab you a plate!

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a couple weeks but I'm back on this project 100% to get this done by next weekend. The hydroboost is done...

I ended up using a combination of power steering lines to get the hydroboost plumbed, I've checked just about every line made for several hydroboost units, and none were long enough. So I ended up going to a hose shop and had to ends crimped on two hoses to make one long hose to reach the booster to the gearbox. Here is the belt routed on the motor...

Here, the fuel lines are run from the passenger side of the motor to the driver side framerail using ford flex lines re-bent to fit the motor...

Here they are at the framerail. I had to pick up some hard line to run a return...

And this is my stopping point as of Tuesday. Hope to get the lines done today so I can start it up...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mustang FEAD, astrovan hydroboost. The hb unit was almost the same bolt pattern as the jeep, but I found out later that limits me to using the astro master cylinder, as it has a long alignment cylinder that no other mc will fit. It's likely it will get changed out later. The mustang FEAD will also be swapped out in a month or so when it comes back for a trans swap. He has decided to go auto, so I'm going to pull the entire painless harness and A9L in favor of a more tuner friendly ex 5.0 system. The intake is already GT40, but will pull the FEAD, water pump and timing cover to swap to the distributorless OBD2 ignition system...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lmao, sure, right after I do my Trac. I've got an M122 that has a date with my 5.0, its a long term thing!

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I had a dumb moment cause I had the EGR plug laying next to that spot and thought it was the temp sensor, and where it was on the coolant pipe was actually hitting the dizzy and I couldn't plug in the connector. So I put a plug there, and drilled and tapped the top. After I installed the sensor I realized I already had it installed in the t-stat housing, which was my original solution to the sensor hitting the dizzy. I'll fill you in further in the next post in a minute...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, so I got the fuel return line bent up and installed using 5/16 steel brakeline...

Here you can barely see the fuel lines finished and hooked up. You can also see the power steering lines from the pump to booster to gearbox.

Here is a little treat...
http://static.photobucket.com/playe...E36A2959-117-0000001A9CBD6899_zps814e3ca8.mp4

You may or may not be able to see it, but the extra temp sensor was pulled for a mechanical gauge...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't get it to play in the thread, guess I still need to find out which link I need to use. Btw, the squeaking is not the supercharger slipping, its the alternator. There is a lot of belt movement under the alternator, so looks like I will need to install a second idler pulley under the alternator, and a longer belt...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dustin, its hard to say, all of the machine work was done in spare time. The thing is, I'll need to cut both the charger plate and the intake plate, then will need to position to find the correct pulley alignment. I made a model out of wood at first, and that got me the measurements of the pieces, but I still had to tweak til it was right. There is no room to move it around once its done. We had to go back and machine a notch for the spark plug wire clearance cause it was too tight...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, had a bad luck day, got the rear flex line in (90 f350 rear flex line) and found out its 3/8 on one side, 7/16 on the other. No biggie, but I don't have any 7/16 thread by 3/16 tubing diameter nuts, do I gotta pick some up. Went to fill coolant, put in the high dollar orange coolant (its what I had), then poured in 3/4 gallon of water, and I hear fluid leaking. Check all the hoses, nothing, so I look underneath and its pouring from the bellhousing. S%#T! It's coming from the freeze plugs by the crank! Gotta pull the motor yet again. Also found the jeep slave cylinder for the clutch just won't work, not enough throw. So I gotta get a ford slave (maybe), also found the power steering pump is leaking at the reservoir case. I have to pull it anyway to make a second return port. Shane, do you remember if the mark 7 pumps had dual return lines on the reservoir? I think it does, but not sure...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did manage to drive it around the yard with the front driveshaft in it. Holy S%@T that thing has got some power. I touched the throttle and the tires didn't stop spinning til I pushed the clutch in!

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Shane, the part numbers are the same on the reserviors for the 89 mustang, the 92 mark 7 with hb, the 90 f350 with hb, or the vacuum booster, the 01 superduty is different, but I only see a front shot of the pump, a return port right behind the pulley. I dont know if there is a second return port in the stock location. So my question is, where does the hb return port go if the gear box return port is using the pump return port? ( I know they can't be T'd together, the hb will keep brake pressure to the brakes if done that way)

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found the 84 mark 7 pumps have two return ports like the 01 superduty. Wonder why the other hydroboost vehicles don't show the same pumps??

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know. I might be going with a different setup. He's wanting to go auto, and we're looking at going to full explorer 5.0 powertrain gear, so if we do, it'll get changed to the ex power steering pump system, which uses a remote reservoir, might just end up either adding a return port or making a custom reservoir. But, that brings another issue, the charger adapter. It will still bolt on, but the pulley system won't line up, so that means a new adapter...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, as it turns out, I've got to go back in the motor one more time. Seems we're talking about a cam in search of the 400 hp mark!

SVT

1 - 20 of 114 Posts